Top Class Free Signing. Where's the Defensive signings Arsene?

Back in 2001, on this very day, Sol Campbell made his debut for Arsenal having made the switch across North London for free. Goals from Henry, Pires & Bergkamp (2) gave Arsenal a 4-0 win at Middlesbrough.

To nab Big Sol that summer was possibly one of the best, if not the best piece of business Arsene Wenger has ever done and what a message the big man sent to his previous club. He did of course go on to do what Tottenham had failed and still fail to do. Win trophies.

Did he move for money? Maybe, but why put yourself through so much abuse if you didn’t know the move was right for you. Sol knew and he succeeded….

Another factoid. Having come from behind to beat Palace at the weekend we became the only side to ever do that on the opening day of the season three times in Premier League history…

We know how to set records eh….. The Champions League is another I would suspect as every season under Arsene Wenger, we have qualified and the manager has made it very clear he wants that run to continue:

We are desperate to do it because we want to play in the Champions League and we know how big these games are.

We had to give a lot [against Crystal Palace], hopefully we will recover and be ready for Tuesday night.

We are desperate to go through, no matter what it costs we want to go through. We have always a difficult draw, we had Fenerbahce last year, this time we have Besiktas. It’s difficult.

We will assess Koscielny on Monday; if he’s fit and capable to play, we play him. It was our plan to bring the Germans back in contention for Everton. But in case of emergency I will take Mertesacker.

But we have Bellerin, who was 19 today, who can come in. We are a bit short. I hope Koscielny responds well to today’s game.

And so it begins.

From saying our German trio wouldn’t be back until this weekend, Mertesacker will be thrown in early because of injury. Young Bellerin is another who may need to be called upon because injury has yet again hit us and by the sounds fit, Wenger will risk Koscielny if he can walk and kick a ball. Monreal will clearly deputise for Kieran Gibbs who is expected to be out for a few weeks and that’s the whole idea of having two good players in each position but why haven’t the club signed a centre back to replace Vermaelen?

Arsene Wenger desperately wants to qualify for the Champions League but it may just turn out that it’s his lack of transfer dealings will actually prevent us from doing so.

Yes we have made some cracking signings but only Alexis and Chambers are additions. Debuchy and Ospina have simply replaced Sagna and Fabianski. We still have two key players missing from that list of new arrivals. A CDM and a CB and we need them fast.

Many fans want to see a top class goal scorer.

Talking of which, do you want Sanogo to stay and play, go on loan or go, full stop?

Just thirteen days left to sort this squad out and turn it into one which could win the Premier League.

After all, that’s what we all want isn’t it…..

Have a good day all…

348 thoughts on “Top Class Free Signing. Where's the Defensive signings Arsene?

1. Gunnerdna

August 18, 2014 at 10:31am

Morning all, good post Rico. Lol

August 18, 2014 at 10:41am

Just seen the training shots on SS’s.

Kos is fit. No Merts and no Campbell either as far as I could see..

Why the lol Gdna?

3. potter

August 18, 2014 at 10:43am

If Campbell plays or not could be a guide to his future . If he is to go , they won’t want him cup tied . Hopefully not another that didn’t get the chance.

4. Tai Emeka Obasi

August 18, 2014 at 10:44am

Morning rico, all…

Nice post.

On Sanogo poll…what did you expect? Has the majority always been right? This certainly won’t be the first or last time they’d go wrong.

5. Bob John

August 18, 2014 at 10:44am

Morning Rico. I’m gonna be in full ‘told you so’ mode here as I’ve been banging on about defensive cover all summer. It really does smack of negligence when we are facing potentially the most important game of the season followed by an Everton side who owned us at Goodison last season and will be fired up in their first home game!
    It reminds me of 2007/8 when we were already short at the back so Arsene decided to send Djorou on loan to Birmingham. Two games later as injuries kicked in we ended up with Gilberto playing centre-back at White Hart Drain! What’s more, after half a season putting out fires at Birmingham Djorou cam back injured and bereft of confidence. Double whammy!

August 18, 2014 at 10:46am

Potter, I think he’s off on loan, which may just mean another striker could be on his way in..

7. Scott From Oz

August 18, 2014 at 10:47am

Yaya should go on loan, IMO.

August 18, 2014 at 10:49am

Morning Tai, thanks.

Morning Bob, you aren’t alone. It was clear TV was on his way a long time ago yet here we are, season open and we are already looking at playing Kos who is clearly not 100% fit and it’s crazy.

However, Miquel is training and the thought of him and Chambers starting tomorrow night is quite frightening. Demba Ba will be smiling from ear to ear if that’s the case…

9. Paul

August 18, 2014 at 10:50am

Need another CB,a DM,and a top Striker, and possiblly a left back option.

August 18, 2014 at 10:50am

Scott, but he’s French.. ;)

11. Gunnerdna

August 18, 2014 at 10:52am

Rico, I didn’t vote, that’s why I type lol.

12. Tai Emeka Obasi

August 18, 2014 at 10:52am

If Campbell is not included, it only means he’s going on loan. I wouldn’t want that but then Wenger’s hands are tied. Presently we have 16 ‘overseas’ players including Campbell. If Manolas happens, we’re closed. To get in another non-homegrown, somebody has to go…and Wenger seems made up it’s Campbell.

And if so, it confirms Khedira isn’t completely dead. Yes, Khedira because Rabiot is only 19 and qualifies as youth(under 21)

13. Scott From Oz

August 18, 2014 at 10:54am

Tai, we will get Khedira :)
    Rico, I know lol

14. bondex

August 18, 2014 at 10:55am

Morning all, good post. I’d rather see yaya go on loan and then give more opportunities to campbell.By the way If yaya goes , a more experience striker can come on loan.

15. Nickie

August 18, 2014 at 10:56am

I can’t help that if Sanogo went out on loan at 22, come back at 23 would he really have much more to offer? I like the guy but is he really ever going to make it? I hope someone can say I told you so in future but I do not see it. On Saturday it was like our players didn’t want to pass to him because they think he’s poo

August 18, 2014 at 10:57am

I still think two at least will be signed…

So does Arsene Scott.. lol

17. Bob John

August 18, 2014 at 11:03am

Sanogo to me is like Bendtner reincarnated. He has a high opinion of his own ability. I particularly like that little trick he has when the ball is passed to him to take in his stride but it hits his heel as he is running and he leaves it behind! Did it when clean through against Benfica but was flagged offside and did it on Saturday in the second half on the edge of the box.

18. Nickie

August 18, 2014 at 11:05am

lol Bob, I love that trait of his. I do that myself, takes years to master

August 18, 2014 at 11:05am

I think i’m losing my battle trying to defend Sanogo… ;)

20. Ged

August 18, 2014 at 11:06am

We have only made one addition to the Squad since last season,Sanchez. Chambers,Debauchy & Ospina replaced Jenkinson,Sagna & Fabinaski.,since then we have lost Vermaelen. IMO,we need 2 C.B. 1 D.M and a world class Striker,other wise it will be the usual story of battling for 4th.
    Does anyone else agree with me that Wilshire should be sold off and replaced by Rabiot

21. SG_Gooner

August 18, 2014 at 11:07am

As usual we have the poster in panic attack mode, filled with dread and probably would have done a similar poll for Ramsey to be sent out on loan when Arsenal “supporters” were busy giving abuse to him on the ground.

22. Tai Emeka Obasi

August 18, 2014 at 11:08am

I don’t know anything about Manolas qualities but if he is first choice in a very defensively disciplined side like Greece and is 6’2”, plus AW wants him, I’d welcome him with open arms.

Again, I don’t see any striker coming. Whenever Wenger wants to change his strikers, he always purchased early in the summer, then starts the work of bedding in in pre-season. Sanchez will always be no 1 name on starting list…then Wenger will get another CF to partner Sanchez? Before they get to understand each other we’d be out of top 4.

Again, if Wenger wanted Giroud’s sub, he’d have done so early for pre-season, knowing he’d be playing with Sanchez whenever he came on.

So, who did Wenger try in pre-season with Sanchez? Giroud, Sanogo, Campbell and Akpom. If Wenger gets Khedira and Manolas, then Campbell goes on loan while Akpom stays. If he gets Manolas and Rabiot…Akpom goes on loan, Campbell stays.

I’ve looked critically at it…and I don’t see any striker signing.

23. rogerbij

August 18, 2014 at 11:11am

Nice post and poll rico. Nothing to defend on Sanogo, its nothing personal. I dont even care if he stays and plays league cup games. Im just dead against him starting as our top striker in any serious game we have to win! Im getting tetchy… where are those signings? Carvalho + Striker please! (Carvalho can also play CB).

24. Ikenna

August 18, 2014 at 11:14am

Sanogo is nt jst gud enough as of yet…i tink he shld be loaned 2get mre experience

25. Scott From Oz

August 18, 2014 at 11:14am

Nickie, our guys couldn’t hit a barn door with a pass at times, n matter who the target.
    He’s a kid….not really sure why so many are being is harsh on him.
    Is it his fault he is our number 2 option ATM?
    If he was 4th choice, everyone would be saying the kid has a future.
    Direct frustration at the right target guys.

26. Tai Emeka Obasi

August 18, 2014 at 11:17am

After RVP left, Wenger brought in Giroud and Podolski…that season we didn’t make top 4 by our efforts…we were handed top 4 by Tottenham’s lack of it. And you think Wenger would risk such unbalancing in attack at one go ever again?

August 18, 2014 at 11:17am

I think any top class striker if signed wouldn’t take to long to adjust. If that player gets fed the ball, I’m sure he’d just do what he’s always done and score..

For top class players, the game is natural and with the likes of Ramsey, Alexis and Ozil in our side, the supply will always be plentiful.

I’m not going to try and guess what AW has planned, all I hope is he does have something planned and that plan gets sorted before the 1st September….

28. bondex

August 18, 2014 at 11:18am

Sanogo is great pontential and I think we all agree on that, TH14 wasn’t that good at the beginning remember and it took a while for him to be the TH14 we all love…

August 18, 2014 at 11:21am

Thanks roger. I’d rather we didn’t sign one player who can play both positions, as if he’s called back into defence, bang goes our DM player and if that scenario took place when playing City, Chelsea etc etc, we’d be in trouble….

We have the money, sign both I say…

30. bondex

August 18, 2014 at 11:23am

Agree with you on that Rico, sign both and make us complete ( at least 80%)

31. 49Unbeaten

August 18, 2014 at 11:24am

He’s already come out and said he isn’t doing anything until after the CL qualifier so I do’t see the point of why there’s a debate?

32. emma

August 18, 2014 at 11:25am

Gd morning gunnersphere,

Good win last weekend and hopefully that continues
    All the players did very well. It’s all about fitness in the first 3weeks and for us to have won that match bores well for the confidence of the team.

My only qualms is Wenger playing the wrong striker in this kind of match. Giroud suits this kind of opposition that sits back with a block of two(esp mid and low table teams).

Yaya should be started against teams like the russia oil, oil city, YWWA(You Will Walk Alone), our b*tch across the seven sisters, manure(teams that will not come to defend but attack)

Reading thru yesterday comments most of us are going over the top about Yaya’s performance. For the period he spent on the pitch he did brilliantly well. Our midfielders were isolated from him(Sanogo) as Crystal pulis chocked the 18yard box without space.

33. Tai Emeka Obasi

August 18, 2014 at 11:26am

Thanks, bondex.

Ok, Rico…should be using rico henceforth. I saw the post where you quickly clarified Rico and rico were different. And just as well for I already concluded you were the one … truly wondering why you could blow hot and cold on one subject …until you…

Let’s see September 1 but like I always believed, the fun of this game is guessing almost everything – signings, line-ups, scores, scorers, winners , etc.

34. rogerbij

August 18, 2014 at 11:26am

Exactly bondex, Ill gladly give Sanogo the time to develop, but I just dont want our hopes resting on him until he well and truely has developed!

35. Nickie

August 18, 2014 at 11:26am

Scott,

I have nothing against the guy and feel sorry for him that he gets such criticisms. I like his work ethic, effort and determination in games. It’s just imo his ability isn’t up to Arsenal standard. Like I said, I’d love someone in a couple of years when Sanogo is smashing 20-30 goals a season to say to me “I told you so”.

I’m just in a brutal mood. lol

36. silentstan

August 18, 2014 at 11:27am

Do you have a degree in moaning?

37. Scott From Oz

August 18, 2014 at 11:28am

Emma, I’m almost positive he played Sanogo to see where the kid stands, but to keep Giroud for Turkey…a must win game.
    Nickie, I know mate……most of that wasn’t aimed at you lol.
    I like him but think he still a way off ATM.

38. emma

August 18, 2014 at 11:29am

….But it could be seen as a good tactical plan by wenger to wear the pulis defence down with Yaya running them ragged to soften them and introducing Giroud when they started cramping up. ;)

39. rogerbij

August 18, 2014 at 11:32am

Ya Bondex and Rico, of course youre dead right that we should sign both a DM and CB, not one to cover both. I favour Carvalho because (aside from him being a beast) I cant see Wenger signing both a DM and CB before the end of the window. One surely, two… not so sure. Naturally if you gave us the checkbook it would be done already ;)

August 18, 2014 at 11:35am

Silentstan, elaborate…

41. aroman

August 18, 2014 at 11:36am

let yaya,go on laon becouse he hav a good talented please we want top class strikr

42. George

August 18, 2014 at 11:36am

I can see Sanogo netting in Turkey. I like him but like most, he’s a 4th choice striker. Akpom is at the same level already nad Campbell better than both. WEnger has one eye on everton and like Tai said, he rested Giroud for the Turkey game.

I am expecting alot more effort from Santi. He was below par, as was Ramsey(even though he scored)

43. Scott From Oz

August 18, 2014 at 11:36am

Emma, Sanogo doesn’t mind mixing it, does he?
    I said it yesterday….I always rate effort, and he brings that.
    For me, effort is almost always rewarded…eventually.

August 18, 2014 at 11:38am

bondex, I’m not against Sanogo either, I quite like his energy, pace and enthusiasm and once he starts scoring, he’ll be ok imo.

August 18, 2014 at 11:39am

Who silentstan, me or is your comment directed at us all??

46. Tai Emeka Obasi

August 18, 2014 at 11:41am

Hey, rico…your poll is faulty … I just voted twice…to check and it accepted!

47. emma

August 18, 2014 at 11:41am

Scott – I quite agree with you. Sanogo will shut a lot of mouth this season. He’s got to be the striker against our rivals this season ahead of Giroud. Campbell is another one I would love to see, hope Wenger gives him a chance

August 18, 2014 at 11:42am

It was a good win emma, as Lee said yesterday, there was a time when we would have drawn or even lost that match..

:) Tai, I think someone did that on purpose, rather childish I think….

August 18, 2014 at 11:42am

Best you keep voting then Tai to even the votes out a bit… ;)

50. Tai Emeka Obasi

August 18, 2014 at 11:44am

rico, he already started scoring…that’s why we’re debating Sanogo…otherwise you’d be reading ‘Sirnogoal’. He’s top EPL striker of pre-season…lol.

51. Bt62 Gooner

August 18, 2014 at 11:44am

Morning all, nice post Rico or is it rico? I see the Sanogo debate rumbles on, he’s here to stay. Besiktas results, will probably determine our final transfer deals and loans.

August 18, 2014 at 11:45am

We just had a very abusive Liverpool fan trying to get on here, wow what a rude rant he had. Spam for him then….

53. Tai Emeka Obasi

August 18, 2014 at 11:47am

No, rico…that’s cheating and it’s not in my character. I just wanted to check it out…

August 18, 2014 at 11:48am

Ha ha Tai, e-season doesn’t count…

Thanks Bt, rico is probably best ;)

I hope Yaya grabs a couple of corkers tomorrow night and then we can start moaning about Giroud again… lol

55. potter

August 18, 2014 at 11:49am

I commented earlier about moving to the ball to make space and someone else said that our midfield were not passing to him because they felt, in his opinion, that he isn’t good enough. I believe that the reason he was not getting the ball was because in fact he was moving away from it in trying to find space by going wide and away from the danger zone. Dann and Hangeland were getting close behind him and giving him no time to control the ball . He will learn to come off the player to get time but in a team trying to win the premier league is not the place to do it. He needs to play against this kind of tight defence week in week out. Arsenal is not where this learning should take place, the physicality of the Championship would serve him well. As a comparison it will be interesting to see how Danny Ings fares in the step up in class.

August 18, 2014 at 11:49am

Tai, the poll is set to accept one vote only, I just checked…

August 18, 2014 at 11:51am

I think Ings will do well potter, I hope he does, not against us of course.

Re the tight defending, we saw last season that ‘better’ players than Sanogo struggled to break through sides who set up in a similar way..

58. BrainwashedKev

August 18, 2014 at 11:52am

Potter, your earlier point, re: your son, is so true and despite my love of Arsenal I feel, given those circumstances, would have advised my son the same…
    West Ham, Charlton, Southampton, Leyton Orient, you get a chance at those clubs as they need to develop players to sell them and pay the bills…

August 18, 2014 at 11:53am

Just checked it myself Tai, when you vote a second time, the poll says ‘we have already counted your vote’ so the second doesn’t register..

60. Tai Emeka Obasi

August 18, 2014 at 11:53am

slentstan?

61. Bt62 Gooner

August 18, 2014 at 11:54am

Vote rigging, Tai?….lol

62. Bt62 Gooner

August 18, 2014 at 11:58am

Scott, good match report yesterday, mate. A bit late, sorry..

63. Tai Emeka Obasi

August 18, 2014 at 11:59am

Ok…I’ll check again.

64. Luznic

August 18, 2014 at 12:01pm

Morning Rico, lovely post again and I love polls but wait it isn’t for stats right?lol I want Sanogo to stay and play but not as a starter but as a sub behind Campbell we know our injury problem and someone will soon be out injured, going on loan is a waste what if they don’t play him also there

65. Scott From Oz

August 18, 2014 at 12:01pm

Cheers BT…..

66. Tai Emeka Obasi

August 18, 2014 at 12:03pm

Confirmed, rico. Didn’t read the top response the first time. That’s my own error.

67. Tai Emeka Obasi

August 18, 2014 at 12:03pm

Bt, lol.

68. Bt62 Gooner

August 18, 2014 at 12:03pm

Rico, should have MSO, about tea time.

August 18, 2014 at 12:04pm

Sanogo was going to vote “Stay and play” but he hit the wrong button……. ;)

70. potter

August 18, 2014 at 12:06pm

What are you trying to say Lee , Cows arse and Banjo.??

71. Gonerjoe

August 18, 2014 at 12:06pm

Afternoon all if we get Baloteli send Sanogo out on lone if not keep him. ;)

72. Gonerjoe

August 18, 2014 at 12:09pm

Rico do we have to get the UN in every time you run a poll. :D

August 18, 2014 at 12:09pm

Potter, after my faux pas yesterday I’m treading carefully! But yes!!

74. Tai Emeka Obasi

August 18, 2014 at 12:11pm

Is there any more thing to say in defense of Sanogo that I truly haven’t? Arsenal is presently structured to play off the strengths of Giroud…and as long as it is providing cover for and starting occasionally in some matches, Sanogo is very ok.

But if it is to get a world class striker to boss both Giroud and Sanogo, who wouldn’t welcome a Ronaldo? But at this time of the season, AW won’t do it and I’m 100% with him.

August 18, 2014 at 12:17pm

Morning Luznic, thanks… Cheeky re stats.. ;)

August 18, 2014 at 12:18pm

Bt, you are a star, thank you…

August 18, 2014 at 12:20pm

12.04 Lee.. :)

August 18, 2014 at 12:21pm

I hope not Joe..

What do we make of the Khedira ‘agents in London’ headlines. Chavs or us?

Or Qpr? lol

79. esxste

August 18, 2014 at 12:21pm

The problem with signings are that it’s not like Football Manager, where you shortlist a bunch of players and make bids on them all and see what happens. For majority of the transfer window Ozil was not available, then bang, last day we get him. That’s an extreme example for sure, but it’s an important one. Wenger could go out and buy the best defender available today. But he might not be the best one for Arsenal; And then in a couple days, the right one that Wenger does want becomes available, but we’ve already spunked the budget on the wrong guy.

80. Luznic

August 18, 2014 at 12:23pm

Chavs

August 18, 2014 at 12:24pm

Brentford….

August 18, 2014 at 12:24pm

Poisoned fucktard will get him…

83. Scott From Oz

August 18, 2014 at 12:27pm

Lee, he wants us though……

84. Rick

August 18, 2014 at 12:30pm

Morning Rico and the house.
    Good read Rico.
    Campbell did train this morning and will be in the squad for tomorrow.
    I think you have all got it wrong with him he will be staying.
    Still no report of the U18 win on sat.
    The scorers were,Willock Hinds Robinson and Mavididi.

August 18, 2014 at 12:31pm

esxste – I can see where you are coming from but surely AW would know by now exactly who he thinks would fit in and be right for Arsenal and he’d know if he can get them or not…

I still think Ozil was a fluke and fan pressure made AW agree to sign him…

86. Hell Raising Devil

August 18, 2014 at 12:33pm

Good Afternoon Munchkins and Chipmunks.

Good round up Post Rico……and thanks for the Sol reminder.

Besiktas will be a different kettle of fish to Palace or any other EPL side. I am not underestimating them. But they will not look to park the bus, especially in Turkey. So they have to come out. I have a feeling it will be Campbell and not Yaya who will get the nod this time. Sanchez will have different luck than the one he had VS
    Palace.

The game will be more open imo. It will not be easy, but Besiktas know that if they let us have the ball and just sit back they might not qualify…….and to qualify they either have to score more than we do (which means they have to attack) or else wait till its penalties. And I doubt they would wait two games with an added 30 mins meaning 210 minutes and hope for pens.

August 18, 2014 at 12:33pm

I think Mr Undertall will do all he can get him too, only because he knows we want him.

If Sami is really all about money, then he’ll choose the Chavs, if he really wants to join us and we really want to sign him, then come on down Sami Khedira…

August 18, 2014 at 12:34pm

Afternoon Rick and thanks.

I didn’t see Campbell in the training session, clearly I need to go to specsavers. lol

AW comment about him made me think he’s off on loan…

August 18, 2014 at 12:38pm

Thanks Devil, he was a great signing wasn’t he. Oh to have a defender like him signed up this summer…

90. Scott From Oz

August 18, 2014 at 12:39pm

Rico, he is best mates with Ozil, and no doubt, he’s copped an earful about our club.
    I’m just putting two and two together, and could be totally off the mark.

91. BrainwashedKev

August 18, 2014 at 12:40pm

Sign On, Sign On, With Pen, In Your Hand,

And You’ll Never Get, a Job,

You’ll Never, Get a Job…

92. Hell Raising Devil

August 18, 2014 at 12:40pm

August 18, 2014 at 12:44pm

Syg, apparently, Vargas has told his family he’s heading our way… Although I read that’s a spoof…

August 18, 2014 at 12:46pm

Scott, you and me both, we can’t both be wrong with our maths… lol

95. BrainwashedKev

August 18, 2014 at 12:46pm

Afternoon Rico, great post, lmao…..,

96. Gonerjoe

August 18, 2014 at 12:50pm

I thought most of the players at Madrid hated Maureen by the time left is this true.

97. BrainwashedKev

August 18, 2014 at 12:51pm

The Joel Campbell conundrum, shouldn’t be so…

Last season he played a full campaign in Greece, at a similar standard to the Turkish Superliga, where Besiktas play…

Where’s the problem?

Campbell can handle Besiktas just as he handled the WC…

So if he doesn’t play, he must be off….

But he won’t be off to Anfield, you Scouse cnuts can fcuk off…

98. Gonerjoe

August 18, 2014 at 12:52pm

He left

August 18, 2014 at 12:52pm

Afternoon Kev. lol

I like the little song….

100. Scott From Oz

August 18, 2014 at 12:53pm

Joe, most certainly did lol.
    Rico, no way…we can surely get that one right hahaha.

101. southyorkshiregunner

August 18, 2014 at 12:55pm

ANR website for TAI

Alexis will shine against Everton, Liverpool & Man C, as they won’t sit back.
    Anyone else, and he will struggle, until there is continuity and understanding between him and his teammates – which may take some time.
    Chambers MUST play in the midfield – once Per is back – as his ball skills and ability to swiftly convert his thinking from defence to attack – with effect – is extraordinary for someone his age.
    Debuchy should rotate with Bellerin – I like Bellerin.

Myles says:
    How can Alexis have “contuinuity and understanding” with a donkey like Sanogo?
    How can he shine playing with such a clumsy centre forward?
    Wenger was saving Giroud for his £37million game in Istanbul.
    Arsenal beat Palace 2-1 in stoppage time after Sanogo went off at half-time.
    The chasing back by Alexis, his defensive work, was phenomenal.
    But he won’t score if he’s playing with that donkey.

August 18, 2014 at 12:57pm

Jose would have us all believe otherwise…

:) Scott, we can’t…

Kev, is it true that the Dippers tried to get Joel Campbell on loan?

August 18, 2014 at 12:58pm

Kev, I take it you’re not a fan of the Mickey mousers……

104. Gonerjoe

August 18, 2014 at 12:58pm

So if I put 2+2 together why would Khedira what to play for maureen again oh yes money. ;)

105. esxste

August 18, 2014 at 12:59pm

Rico, thats my point. Wenger probably does have a shortlist of players he thinks are a good fit. It’s about whether they’re available. In previous seasons, money might have been a major factor, but this season he’s already proven he’ll spend money on talent. It’s a tough decision to make. With Kos and BFG playing together, any signing isn’t going to be guaranteed first team football, so paying over the odds to prise a decent player away from his current club to park him in the bench is quite a call to make.

August 18, 2014 at 1:00pm

Sanchez worked his nuts off on Saturday…..

August 18, 2014 at 1:06pm

esxste – but if we are going to have to pay over the odds to get who AW wants, why not do that earlier than this?

I doubt clubs will sell top players towards the end of the transfer window, not unless they have already signed a replacement because finding a player that late would be difficult.

Ozil was different, he was sold just to balance the books and he only became available once they got Bale…

August 18, 2014 at 1:07pm

still funny….

August 18, 2014 at 1:10pm

Speaking to Arsenal’s official website, Arteta admitted the lack of a top scorer is an issue but believes the squad has what it takes to deal with that.

“We don’t really have a 30 or 40-goal player at the moment so to have players who can score from the middle of the park is very important,” he said.

‘At the moment’? Is one coming I wonder…..

110. Nickie

August 18, 2014 at 1:11pm

Rico, go to my twitter page and see how happy Sanchez was with the win….we got a great shot haha

111. Nickie

August 18, 2014 at 1:12pm

Its in tweets and replies lol

August 18, 2014 at 1:13pm

:) Nickie, that’s hilarious… Big boy eh….. lol

113. Tai Emeka Obasi

August 18, 2014 at 1:32pm

Eduardo Vagas? Why?

1. Is Vargas truly better than Campbell? If we didn’t already own Campbell, would a choice between him and Vargas, who Benitez considers not good enough at 23 and 24 to send on loan, tip the balance in the favour of the Chilean? At 3 goals in nearly 30 matches last term, is his stats that imposing? Did he make more impact in the last WC than Campbell?

2. Why would AW waste an oversea slot meant for a DM or CB for a player not clearly better than Campbell, only to send Campbell on loan?

3. At 5’9”, what advantage does bringing in Vargas offer in a team with Walcott, Ox, Carzola, Podolski – all flank players, positions Vargas would most certainly play in?

4. Has AW shown any sign of a 4-4-2 in recent times to suggest playing Vargas as a second striker?

Can somebody please educate me on why we should swallow this unnecessary rumour just because one bloke who probably had plenty to drink concluded if Sanchez and Vargas played for Chile that they certainly should play for Arsenal?

Syd,

I still recall all the negative write-ups Myles made about Ramsey … and most times, I don’t usually rely on people’s opinions to build up mine. When I don’t see it, I don’t talk about it. Only Wenger and his assistants stay within the technical area and there’s a reason it’s called technical area! So, if I have to listen to anyone to make my mind up about things Arsenal…Wenger is it.

114. Nickie

August 18, 2014 at 1:39pm

Same old media mumbo jumbo Tai. Just think back to Juan Quintero it’s allllll rubbish. Vargas is a decent player but not necessary

115. Tai Emeka Obasi

August 18, 2014 at 1:42pm

Exactly Nickie…we’ve suddenly forgotten about that one.

116. Tai Emeka Obasi

August 18, 2014 at 1:57pm

In my little brain, something tells me that Madrid do not wish to deal with Mourinho in any way. Mourinho before selling Lukakau didn’t really have the money to sponsor the rumoured 24 mil Khedira deal.

But now they have and even if he didn’t need him, Mourinho would like to deny Wenger the chance of grabbing Sami. The only way is to tell Sami to hold on at Madrid and walk away free. But Madrid is wiser …they seemingly want to push Sami away now … get some dough and deny Mou.

Now, if Wenger thinks there is still a chance, he’d wait till the end … and I suspect he’s actually waiting.

Please don’t quote me – only making unfounded guesses!

117. esxste

August 18, 2014 at 2:09pm

Rico, I’d say there wasn’t any certainty that TV was off. Wenger certainly didn’t want to sell to ManU, and probably wouldn’t have done. TV might have preferred to stay than go to a “lesser” team; if Barcelona hand’t taken him, he might still be with us. With BFG, Kos, TV and Chambers, there wouldn’t have been a need to get anyone else in. As well with the transfers, there is the issue of Champions League football – the best players want to be playing on the biggest stage. We can’t offer any promises on that at the moment.

118. BrainwashedKev

August 18, 2014 at 2:15pm

Just a thought, Kostas Manolas, if he joins, plays for Olympiakos…

Joel Campbell, last season, was on loan at, Olympiakos…

Could a swap deal or another loan be part of any deal?

119. frednerk

August 18, 2014 at 2:29pm

Tai 380 degree turnaround then Khedira.

120. Tai Emeka Obasi

August 18, 2014 at 2:39pm

fred, turn around? Remind me…

121. Lexoshoke

August 18, 2014 at 2:45pm

Howdy Lady rico, Adam, Coach, Emma, kev, Lee, Nickie, Scott, Bt, Luznic, Potter, My home boy Tai n Ever reliable Mista stats Ts I’m sorry if I left any1 out but in summary howdy HH’ers
    On the topic of sanogo I’d definitely be on the fence, he’s got potential, and still very raw but he could still do a job he just needs time and I do honestly and sincerely hope we fans give him the support he needs to but imo a goal would do him a world of good. Here is an article on Rabiot its a nice read though http://t.co/UevJbwOrjr

122. frednerk

August 18, 2014 at 2:57pm

you suspect wengers waiting for khadira,
    I took your advice and forgot him.make your mind up mate.

August 18, 2014 at 2:59pm

Fred we’re doing the Khedira “okey-kokey!”

124. frednerk

August 18, 2014 at 3:02pm

Wengers trying to halfinch someone, fu#k playing cards with him.

125. Nickie

August 18, 2014 at 3:03pm

put your injured in, injured leg out…

126. Tai Emeka Obasi

August 18, 2014 at 3:22pm

Afternoon, Lexo…thanks for the link. Very comprehensive on Rabiot. If the writer knows what he’s talking about, and it seems he does, we’re being linked with a player who, though stands at 6’2”, doesn’t offer much in physical play. Strictly one-legged, though Wenger’s preferred left foot. But obviously quite technical. A Pirlo passeses … that’s something! Can’t say I’m excited but at 19, always room for improvement.

fred, when it became clear the press were tossing us around without any clue, I said forget him. But for me, I’ve always maintained the best DM out there we could get is Khedira. Every German is naturally strong on the ball…forget Ozil – he nationalised! Khedira is very technical and works his socks off. He’s a WC winner, at peak age and good mates to fork out instant playing understanding. Tall enough, 6’2”. and all the experiences required. And looks a perfect Wenger DM.

127. Nickie

August 18, 2014 at 4:07pm

Khedira is not full German though is he? Tunisian parent/ancestors

128. frednerk

August 18, 2014 at 4:12pm

Remember Tai next time listen to me.

129. Nickie

August 18, 2014 at 4:15pm

on a positive note, Manolas announcement could be this week

August 18, 2014 at 4:16pm

Mourinho is an arrogant git, I hope Burnley stuff his ‘title contenders’ good and proper!

Afternoon all….

131. tsgh

August 18, 2014 at 4:17pm

Good read rico…

Afternoon all..

Luznic for you…

In my view what he has is top drawer…

August 18, 2014 at 4:19pm

esxste – I disagree re TV, AW has been saying all summer that he could leave….

Hi Lexo.

133. tsgh

August 18, 2014 at 4:21pm

Hi Lexo… long time?

134. tsgh

August 18, 2014 at 4:27pm

Daley Blind is available and will be perfect… the Ajax finishing school plus his father was a nut case as a player…

£15m max will get him… a proper player who has played LB,CB,DM at WC and UCL levels…

imo Rabiot is a french version of Randall or Conor Henderson…

He is behind Kongodbia too… if we are looking to win the title should we not be aiming abit higher… tried and tested players imo…

Then again AW has a better eye at judging players than me so…

135. tsgh

August 18, 2014 at 4:28pm

Sami was coming imo…

August 18, 2014 at 4:32pm

Thanks Ts…

August 18, 2014 at 4:37pm

He looks good in that video, shame about the og… lol

138. tsgh

August 18, 2014 at 4:40pm

lol… Rico. I thought you would miss that bit.. hawk eyed. :-)

Kosser and RAmsey have a long track record of og’s too so..

August 18, 2014 at 4:45pm

:) Ts, my eyesight is far better than my memory…

140. tsgh

August 18, 2014 at 4:50pm

haha…

141. Lexoshoke

August 18, 2014 at 4:53pm

Yea long time TS, hope you’ve been good?. Been doing more of reading on here than posting. Rabiot is more of a potential as is sanogo, his addition shouldn’t stop a major signing from happening. Heard any major/marque signings is actually dependent on champions league qualification.

Lady rico great job and thanks for all the beautiful and amazing you keep delivering every single day.

August 18, 2014 at 4:56pm

143. Tai Emeka Obasi

August 18, 2014 at 5:06pm

fred, what really should I listen to you about? Bragging time?

144. tsgh

August 18, 2014 at 5:07pm

It always is Lexo re UCL qualifications…

Besiktas is a tricky tie but if we set-up well and Diaby or TR07 comes in for JW we will be fine..

Our old boy Oguzhan Ozyakup will cause either Flamster or our capito problems in the hole…Tore has good engine…

Obviously, Ba will start up front and Bilic as their manager who is decent imo…

145. esxste

August 18, 2014 at 5:18pm

Rico, Depends on how you read into “could”, I guess. Given the way TV handled his side of things, I don’t think it was a case of TV wanting out at any cost. But again, I see people demanding Wenger buy a defender, but don’t give any suggestions on how he can attract the top class defenders they want him to buy when he can’t promise regular or champions league football to them. (At the moment)

146. Lexoshoke

August 18, 2014 at 5:20pm

TS any away trip to turkey is always tricky, + they’ve got some insane n vocal fans out there. Quite intimidating too but a win is definitely needed and we’ve got an OK squad to execute that.

Nope Rico we the readers e.g me should be doing the thank you. So THANK YOU

August 18, 2014 at 5:29pm

esxste – think it’s best we agree to differ, otherwise we’ll be here all night… ;)

148. frednerk

August 18, 2014 at 5:31pm

Tai..bragging about my opinion do us a favour mate.

149. Luznic

August 18, 2014 at 5:48pm

TS I hope he comes good for us because my heart says Wenger already shaked hands with him and a deal is in place but my heart is always for the arsenal what do I know, Tai Khedira is a Tunisian German and Oezil is very strong also not easy to push off the ball………..but can’t we get papasthadopolous I like that name and the man……..khedira or Rabbiot I still feel they threaten Arteta so far Khedira don’t push the skippo out completely I will be glad even though I want him so much but a bird at hand they say

150. Tai Emeka Obasi

August 18, 2014 at 6:01pm

Nickie and Luznic, thanks on spotlight on Khedira African connection.

fred, anything I write here is based on passion and love for my club. I will disagree with anybody once I’m not sold. But taking it home is not my style. I don’t really understand what you have been grumbling about … if it is anything on Khedira, wait until we sign him, then remind me where I crossed your path…I’d happily apologise once we get him signed…and that is if I really spoke out of turn.

August 18, 2014 at 6:08pm

Tai – fred bragging?? He’s not that kind of guy…

152. Nashua gunner

August 18, 2014 at 6:17pm

Good Afternoon Rico and All.

Are we looking to add more bodies into the team?

Is Sami a DM? Is he what we really need? I don’t remember him playing DM for Real Madrid. What I do remember is, he’s always on the bench injured. I hope I’m wrong as always.

August 18, 2014 at 6:19pm

Afternoon Ng. I don’t think Sami is a DM, but he’d certainly add flair to our midfield and with Tomas getting older and Ramsey needing a break, he’d be a great addition to the squad imo.

But, we’d still need a CDM imo, a younger and fitter version of Arteta…

Rabiot… ;)

154. Tai Emeka Obasi

August 18, 2014 at 6:21pm

rico, you’re not picking on me again today, are you?

155. Nashua gunner

August 18, 2014 at 6:27pm

Can’t argue that Rico.we need bodies in with qualities and Sami could be one of them.

Rabiot; never see him play or notice him.

156. frednerk

August 18, 2014 at 6:32pm

Tai,
    What makes me laugh about you mate is you talk like you know it all,then you change track,and start preaching to us how right you are when you were wrong in the first place.

August 18, 2014 at 6:46pm

Not at all Tai, but making such accusations against fred, don’t sit well with me, or fred probably….

August 18, 2014 at 6:54pm

Ng, a Gooner friend of mine has watched Rabiot and believes he’d be a great signing.

159. Rick

August 18, 2014 at 7:26pm

Evening All
    Gibbs and Sanago injured did not travel.
    BFG stayed at home Kossy and Miqual in squad.

August 18, 2014 at 7:28pm

Sanogo injured Rick? That’s strange as he was in training this morning….

161. Rick

August 18, 2014 at 7:35pm

Thats what is being reported Rico.
    It looks a little strange dos it not.
    Ginge thanks for the link to Manolas.
    He looks good and remineds me of Koss when he joined us.

August 18, 2014 at 7:56pm

Hi rico,

Has fred been bragging again !

Looks like i’m in the 10% club.

August 18, 2014 at 8:06pm

Two games in and a paper thin defense tomorrow nite…..deep joy !

August 18, 2014 at 8:07pm

Worrying eh Micko…

165. bob john

August 18, 2014 at 8:12pm

Seeing Fibreglass in a chav kit makes me feel sick!

August 18, 2014 at 8:14pm

Corrie works Bob.. ;)

167. Nashua gunner

August 18, 2014 at 8:18pm

Chelsea equalised, 1 all

August 18, 2014 at 8:22pm

You’ve been super confident all summer another 2 will be coming in rico, hope your right.

Bob john, cashley buggers off and cesc replaces him, I’m sure he’ll get a warm reception at the Emirates !

169. Nickie

August 18, 2014 at 8:22pm

Fabregas wow. We should have taken him back haha

August 18, 2014 at 8:23pm

Sure does Rick…

:) Micko, i’m in there with you…

171. Adam

August 18, 2014 at 8:23pm

Bob. Me too.

August 18, 2014 at 8:23pm

I still am Micko, a bottle of ketchup has convinced me, honest.

173. Gunnerdna

August 18, 2014 at 8:27pm

Can’t believe Lord Fabregas playing for CFC.

August 18, 2014 at 8:30pm

I’m off for the day, night all….

175. Nashua gunner

August 18, 2014 at 8:32pm

Fibraglass is a typical example why I don’t have sympathy for footballers. They only think of themselves.

176. Nashua gunner

August 18, 2014 at 8:33pm

Night Rico.

177. Adam

August 18, 2014 at 8:35pm

Everytime Cesc gets the ball he puts the opposition in trouble. What a strange decision not to take him back.

178. Nashua gunner

August 18, 2014 at 8:40pm

One should never forget his back heel pass.

179. Adam

August 18, 2014 at 8:40pm

Or the goals he scored for us.

180. Gunnerdna

August 18, 2014 at 8:41pm

Adam, please don’t do it, I’m having a headache. Lol.

181. Adam

August 18, 2014 at 8:43pm

Gdna. I know mate. I really do.

182. tsgh

August 18, 2014 at 8:45pm

Evening fellow Housers..

ight Rico..

Damn, Cesc is back…

hopefully he goes missing in second half Micko. ;)

Hi Ng.. your boy Costa is looking the same thug he is… lol

183. Gunnerdna

August 18, 2014 at 8:45pm

Adam, please say some negative stuff. Lol, Fabregas let me down, he should have went to PSG. 2 assist in 30 mins, your boy Costa looks good. Lol

184. Nashua gunner

August 18, 2014 at 8:45pm

For those goals he was handsomely rewarded for. And he turned his back on us when we really needed him.

185. Nashua gunner

August 18, 2014 at 8:51pm

Hi Ts. Fibraglass is back. Mr.Treatment Table. And chosen Mourihno of all people. Wanders will never end.

186. goonster

August 18, 2014 at 8:52pm

…..and so it begins. God help us.

187. tsgh

August 18, 2014 at 8:55pm

lol.. Ng. well at least he is only human so he can assist only 1 person at a time… lol

Hopefully, Ozil is watching this and saying he needs to up his game…

Its still only Burnley after all btw…

188. Gunnerdna

August 18, 2014 at 8:55pm

Goon, don’t start it, my head hurts. Lol

August 18, 2014 at 8:55pm

Adam, don’t beat yourself up, those in the know will tell ya he’s over-rated !
    Howdy tsgh, my source tells me cesc has the fastest healing bones in the premiership but keep that to yourself.

190. Adam

August 18, 2014 at 8:57pm

Gdna. :)
    I am turning to another channel to watch a film. Night all.

191. tsgh

August 18, 2014 at 8:57pm

I thought folks including JW said Santi was better than Cesc when Cesc jumped ship? ;)

192. goonster

August 18, 2014 at 8:58pm

Gdna it’s happening already. We ve just handed the title to the chavs by allowing thst short cuss sign our golden boy. Last year it was manure this year it’s the chavs….who’s next? Totenham hotsperms? Good grief.

193. Gunnerdna

August 18, 2014 at 8:58pm

Ts, Matic looks like the best in his position in the league, what you think?

194. Gunnerdna

August 18, 2014 at 9:01pm

Adam, lol. I ain’t watching anymore of this shit either, fuck off Mourinho, David Moyes is the special 1 not u.

195. Hell Raising Devil

August 18, 2014 at 9:02pm

Tottenham hotsperms????? :lol: LMFAO

for once you said something sensible.

but not hotsperms mate.

Shitsperms is better.

196. tsgh

August 18, 2014 at 9:02pm

Matic is good and was always good even before he left Chelsea-Dna…

tbh with you I haven’t watched enough of him closely since he came back to say he is the best…

Jose’s players work hard and so the pressure is not on only the 2 CB’s and DM to win the balls whilst the 2 FBs and wingers go missing like AW’s tactics in the big games…

197. Nashua gunner

August 18, 2014 at 9:03pm

Ts. Yes one master at a time but, the man who nurtured you; yet you decide to play for his worse enemy. What happened to ‘he wants to go home’?

198. tsgh

August 18, 2014 at 9:04pm

:D micko… well Cesc can be a good samaritan and donor a bit of his bone-marrow to King Abou…

199. goonster

August 18, 2014 at 9:05pm

Nasher the master didn’t want him back. What do you expect him to do? Come on now.

200. Gunnerdna

August 18, 2014 at 9:06pm

Ts, I’m only interested in the Matic reply. I have no right to criticize AW or his players, I leave that to others, lets enjoy the talent god give to these players.

201. Hell Raising Devil

August 18, 2014 at 9:06pm

Good Evening mates

202. goonster

August 18, 2014 at 9:07pm

I actually don’t hate him. I miss him terribly. So sad seeing him in blue. Rips my heart out.

203. tsgh

August 18, 2014 at 9:08pm

well, if we are to believe it; it was Aw who snubbed him…
    I am too cynical on the other hand to believe Cesc was desperate to join us at all cost considered last summer he flirted with Yanited until he realised he better see how Moyes does first…

£200k a week and all; £9.6m a year salary on top of the £30m transfer fee; well…???

204. Nashua gunner

August 18, 2014 at 9:10pm

Goonster. There are many churches beside St.Georgge’s Cathedral.

205. tsgh

August 18, 2014 at 9:10pm

Hey goonie.. do us a favour and do some research on the dutch sites and try to find out why Daley Blind is not moving.. he will be perfect for us..

206. Gunnerdna

August 18, 2014 at 9:10pm

Goon, miss is an understatement. 1 of the best MF to ever play in the PL, love him like no other.

207. goonster

August 18, 2014 at 9:10pm

Ts he wanted to at all cost but as always le scrooge had other ideas. God am so heart broken.

208. Gunnerdna

August 18, 2014 at 9:15pm

Ts, Daley Blind is another Kevin Strootman scenario, a player who could make a big difference but is being overlook.

209. bondex

August 18, 2014 at 9:19pm

@ goonster l hate cesc now with a strong passion. … He didnt really want to come here. Remember he took a pay cut just to make sure he left us. He should have done the same, wear an arsenal jersey and pretend ut was forcwd on him by carzola. Then i would belueve he realky prefered to come to us.

210. tsgh

August 18, 2014 at 9:21pm

Indeed Goonie;Strootman was instrumental for Gervinho’s Roma last season.. he made De Rossi look young.. lol

I wonder how his injury will affect him this season if/when he comes back…

I honestly thought AW would go for Blind or at least LvG will try to sign Daley since LvG needs a CB but..

Maybe his dad has advised him to stay for awhile.. or the tough Overmars is refusing to sell…

Ng- the way I see it if we had not won a trophy last summer or qualified for UCL, Cesc won’t have even said he wanted to join us again… I might be wrong again of course…

August 18, 2014 at 9:23pm

Daley Blind, won dutch player of the year last season, will probably end up with the Northern monkeys.

212. Nashua gunner

August 18, 2014 at 9:26pm

Ts. Come to think of it, it situation like this why I admired The Verminator.

213. tsgh

August 18, 2014 at 9:31pm

ha ha Micko there are 2 monkeys now… which 1..

Indeed Ng re TV…

214. tsgh

August 18, 2014 at 9:40pm

Also jose’ wanted Ozil so much last summer that he refused to sell Demba Ba to us…

Ozil will show his worth this season… he was instrumental in Germany winning the wc as well…
    Their stats are almost identical over the last 3 or 4 years too.

215. tsgh

August 18, 2014 at 9:40pm

night gents

August 18, 2014 at 9:41pm

Well I’m not talking Stoke tsgh, catch you tomorrow gooners, nite all.

217. Nashua gunner

August 18, 2014 at 9:42pm

Good night T.

218. Nashua gunner

August 18, 2014 at 9:46pm

Night Micko.

219. Nashua gunner

August 18, 2014 at 10:48pm

Sometimes I wonder whether it AW or Arsenal Mourihno hate so much. If we can get Sami over Chelsea that would be the best thing after sliced bread.

220. potter

August 18, 2014 at 11:01pm

Cesc is a class act , we ( whoever ) turned him down . We will live to regret it.

August 18, 2014 at 11:02pm

If you look at the table now I think you are looking at the final order, well maybe not order but the top 4 will be as it is now. I hope that the teM that is third overnight will finish first! However, this it for the season. No Manure, no Everton etc etc…..perm any four and hope the Arse come out on top but it’s all to play for.
    Only request…….Arsene, my little bobby dazzler go and complete the squad with the right players, so we are equipped to win the EPL like we are destined to do!!

Right I’m back to my Scottish break. I love foreign holidays!

222. BrainwashedKev

August 19, 2014 at 12:12am

Scotland is beautiful Wavy…

The only thing that spoils it are the Scots!

223. Scott From Oz

August 19, 2014 at 4:09am

Honestly, I a sick of hearing about Cesc.
    We haven’t got him.
    He’s a Chelksi shit now…..sulky player with a sulky manager….perfect fit.
    I hope they have beautiful children together.
    Move on.

August 19, 2014 at 6:43am

Fuck Fabregas we’ve got Sanogo (even though he’s injured!)
    Costa he’s shit….
    Arsene knows…..

225. Hell Raising Devil

August 19, 2014 at 7:00am

Good Morning Munchkins and Chipmunks

Just ask yourself a question………at the end of the day….who would you prefer (technically and tactically)….Cesc or Wilshere?

Honest answers please. leave sentiment and emotions aside.

Would you have preferred this midfield…..

Arteta, Cesc, Ramsey

or this midfield……

Arteta, Jack, Ramsey

Deep down my opinion is that of the former one.

And when Ozil returns…..Cesc, Ramsey, Ozil

August 19, 2014 at 7:06am

Fabregas all day long coach….Arsene knows though!

227. Scott From Oz

August 19, 2014 at 7:10am

We all know who is the best of Jack and Cesc, but we don’t have him.
    We won nothing with Cesc, RVP and all the other “world class” players we had and sold, yet have won two trophies in a few months…..yep, I reckon Arsene has it right.
    A happy squad, or sulky bitches?
    I know what we have now.

228. Scott From Oz

August 19, 2014 at 7:12am

Come on devil, you coach….a team of champions, or a champion team?

August 19, 2014 at 7:27am

Yeah you’re right Scott BUT we could of had him….Arsene chose not to.

230. potter

August 19, 2014 at 7:36am

Money left in the bank , Cesc at Chelsea and Arteta and Flamini anchoring our midfield = madness.

Scott the reason we won nothing whilst they were with us and the reason they were sulky was because they did not have the quality of Ozil and Sanchez around them. Wenger has always made do and mended and he is doing it again. Someone at the club felt spited by Cesc and put there own feelings before those of the club.

231. potter

August 19, 2014 at 7:38am

BTW Charity ( Community ) Shield is a pre season friendly . Doesn’t count as a trophy.

232. Scott From Oz

August 19, 2014 at 7:38am

I know Lee, I know.
    I’d have taken him, to be honest but so be it.
    Potter, they were supposedly top class, even world class players.
    Cesc refused to play….why shouldn’t Wenger have been pissed?
    I’d have been.
    You’d have been.
    Again, I’d have taken him but I’m not devastated we didn’t.

233. Scott From Oz

August 19, 2014 at 7:40am

Potter, fair enough, but Chelski didn’t even qualify :)

August 19, 2014 at 7:44am

Both Fabregas and RvP wanted the squad strengthened but not with cnuts like santos, gerwankstain etc. As you say we haven’t got him, so let’s move on! The window is still open and we have money in the bank….will Arsene do the right thing? Time will tell…..

235. Scott From Oz

August 19, 2014 at 7:47am

Lee!,I think he will.
    I reckon Khedira will be ours for starters, and a CB.
    From there, I’m not sure…….

August 19, 2014 at 7:55am

Your positivity knows no bounds Scott… :lol:
    Half full Digger!! I hope you’re right matey! We are very close to great things, imho!

237. Adam

August 19, 2014 at 8:04am

Morning all. While I agree that crying over spilt milk is futile, a manager succeeds or fails by the decisions he makes and regarding the whole Cesc situation Wenger either did or didn’t make a mistake. Too late now. I am with Potter on this one myself. For me the plain fact is that we need three quality players in the next couple of weeks. Those that Scott mentioned, yes, but also a striker. A proper, top quality striker.

238. Scott From Oz

August 19, 2014 at 8:07am

Adam, a striker would top us right off, that’s for certain.
    Lee, I’m consistent, mate lol

239. Scott From Oz

August 19, 2014 at 8:08am

What’s our nett spend thus far, guys??
    Just rough figures…..

August 19, 2014 at 8:18am

£41.8m

241. Scott From Oz

August 19, 2014 at 8:20am

So plenty on the kitty, Lee.
    No excuse not to complete the squad then…..

242. Scott From Oz

August 19, 2014 at 8:21am

Oh, and thank you, Lee :)

August 19, 2014 at 8:25am

Morning all..

Cesc who? lol

August 19, 2014 at 8:25am

I still got a hunch Khedira will happen…..

August 19, 2014 at 8:26am

MOTM last night….

August 19, 2014 at 8:29am

Sanogo injured? Or heading out on loan?

August 19, 2014 at 8:30am

But if that was playing for us, would we not be tempted to say ‘it was only Burnley’?

248. Scott From Oz

August 19, 2014 at 8:31am

Loan, Rico…..that was my tip after the weekend :)

August 19, 2014 at 8:36am

Said similar Scott, maybe AW wanted to see what he was like against Palace before making a decision. Not suggesting I’m right, but it’s a possibility…

August 19, 2014 at 8:38am

Plus, Arteta’s comment yesterday about not having a 23/30 goal scorer ‘yet’ could be a hint… ;)

251. Gonerjoe

August 19, 2014 at 8:44am

What’s it with the Cesc love in remember he forced he’s way out of the team and refusing to play pretending he was injured.
    So when the team needed him the most he left us at this moment our mid- field doesn’t need him.

August 19, 2014 at 8:44am

24/30? 25/30?

August 19, 2014 at 8:45am

It’s hardly a love in, It was merely stating that he played well last night.

254. Adam

August 19, 2014 at 8:47am

Morning Rico. If so, there are comparatively few players that would fit Arteta’s description.

August 19, 2014 at 8:48am

Our midfield doesn’t need him……

August 19, 2014 at 8:48am

30/40 ;)

257. Adam

August 19, 2014 at 8:51am

I would have thought that we need as many world-class players as we can get.

August 19, 2014 at 8:51am

Morning Adam. I know but he could have been hinting about a striker coming in.

I’m guessing of course…..

259. Scott From Oz

August 19, 2014 at 8:53am

Cavani?
    What is Pato doing?
    Gervinho :)

260. Adam

August 19, 2014 at 8:54am

I don’t doubt it Rico. Do you think Wenger is going to sign a 25-30 goal a season world-class striker? :)

August 19, 2014 at 8:55am

Sanogo we have Sanogo!

August 19, 2014 at 8:57am

I don’t know Adam…

263. Scott From Oz

August 19, 2014 at 8:57am

Adam, I don’t think he will, to be honest.
    My question is do we need one?
    Comparing our attacking weapons to last season, we are one Sanchez better off.
    If Theo can stay fit, Campbell can show something, we are better off.
    Where did we lose things last season?
    Was it a lack of goals or too many conceded?

August 19, 2014 at 8:57am

And Alexis, Giroud and Campbell… ;)

265. Scott From Oz

August 19, 2014 at 8:58am

I should have added we MUST, MUST, MUST add a CB and DM.

266. Adam

August 19, 2014 at 8:59am

Rico. I can’t even think of one at the moment who could be available but, if I could, no doubt he would be big, big money. We could afford him though.

August 19, 2014 at 8:59am

Too many conceded Scott, imo.

DM, CB have to be the priority imo… And Sami…

August 19, 2014 at 9:00am

Falcao, Cavani, Balotelli are all up for grabs Adam…

August 19, 2014 at 9:01am

Kalou?
    Bent?

August 19, 2014 at 9:01am

Umbongo?

271. Adam

August 19, 2014 at 9:02am

Scott. I honestly think we do. If he is going to persist with Alexis wide then we really only have Giroud who looks likely to score goals and they will be of a specific variety. For me, we need a goalscorer and a serious one at that. We are, after all, aiming to win the PL.

272. Adam

August 19, 2014 at 9:06am

Rico. I wonder which one he will buy? :)

273. Nickie

August 19, 2014 at 9:09am

We should press Besiktas hard tonight,

—–Ram–Arteta—-
    Alexi————–Ox
    —–Camp–Gir—–

Morning all,

big shame Sanogo isn’t fit, he’s ready..

274. BrainwashedKev

August 19, 2014 at 9:10am

Morning All…

There are many pros and cons concerning Fabregas.

But in the final analysis, you cannot have too many quality players…

Is Cesc better than what we have?

If the answer if yes, then it was stupid not to sign him.

If only to stop him going to Chelsea or ManUre…

It’s only one result and one performance, but Wenger’s decision not to resign him has all the ingredients of becoming a major major blunder…

275. Scott From Oz

August 19, 2014 at 9:14am

Kev, would he have upset our squad though…that’s my question.
    Adam, fair enough, but I hope Arsene plays Sanchez through the middle.

August 19, 2014 at 9:15am

Cavani Adam….

277. Nickie

August 19, 2014 at 9:15am

I don’t think a DM is on Wenger’s shopping list. Arteta captain, Flamini in the wings, Diaby when fit, Ramsey/Jack and play deep in his eyes. He will not leave out Arteta or Jack to supplement a new CM. I’ve conceded defeat in our chase for a DM

278. BrainwashedKev

August 19, 2014 at 9:18am

He might have Scott, then again, he might not have?

He might have loved being in the same team as Ozil, Sanchez and Ramsey…

But it’s all conjecture Digger.

He’s a Chav now and I suspect that we’ll be debating this point for the rest of this season and beyond, especially if Cesc makes ‘the’ difference for Gazprom…

Off to the Osteo..

279. frednerk

August 19, 2014 at 9:19am

Morning All,
    So far the transfer kitty is still intact,other than Sanchez(puma money).
    Wenger waiting(I hope) to nip in cut price for bodies,surely he can see after the new injuries…why the delay with the bubble and squeek,
    3 games this week..Lastminute.com

August 19, 2014 at 9:22am

I don’t think he would of upset the squad BUT as you said earlier Scott, Arsene didn’t want him so move on!

August 19, 2014 at 9:25am

:) Adam, none I suspect…

August 19, 2014 at 9:26am

Fred, Arsene’s waiting for us to qualify for the CL then Cavani, Khedira,Carvalho and Hummels are coming…..Adam was told by Ivan! ;)

August 19, 2014 at 9:32am

I’d laugh my socks off if that happened Lee. After having to be brought round by smelling salts of course… ;)

284. frednerk

August 19, 2014 at 9:33am

I know lee..my brothers mate at work told us his sisters best mate meet this bloke in primark last week and he told her his brother saw wenger signing the checks for them players you mention…
    Lee just passing on the info mate.

285. Adam

August 19, 2014 at 9:34am

Lee. :)

286. Gonerjoe

August 19, 2014 at 9:35am

The one place our team is well stocked with players is mid-field if we are going to spend 30m the are better places to spend it.
    Just a question would anyone take Nasri back for 30m cause in the end he forced he’s way out the same as Cesc.

287. potter

August 19, 2014 at 9:37am

In my opinion a mistake , you can argue that it was only Burnley but we struggled to break down a manager less Palace and got lucky at the end .

August 19, 2014 at 9:39am

Just a question how do you know Cesc forced his way out?
    Midfield well stocked? Is Fabregas better than Arteta, Flamini, Rosicky, Wilshere,Diaby or Santi?

August 19, 2014 at 9:41am

Hope you are wrong Nickie, you have to be….

August 19, 2014 at 9:43am

Neither here nor there as he’s a chav now but saying we don’t need him….really?

August 19, 2014 at 9:45am

I didn’t see the game potter, did Burnley park the bus like Palace?

Just playing devils advocate really, when a few of our ‘not so liked/good’ players do well against the so called lesser sides, ‘we’ are quick to say the opposition was poor…

I guess I’m just asking how good were Burnley, the way SS’s are going on about Chelsea, you’d think they had just beaten Real Madrid 3-1….

292. frednerk

August 19, 2014 at 9:45am

Thought the chavs looked up to speed last night after going one down,Fab pulling the strings all over the place.
    I hope our players were watching that game,wenger did say we have the same type of player as Fab,,jack/Rambo.?

293. potter

August 19, 2014 at 9:46am

Nasri is not in the same class as Cesc , when we talk about managing people if you get a situation like we had with Cesc and later RVP, as a manager you have to ask yourself the question WHY ?. What caused it and could I have handled it better.Effectively they both left because of the lack of quality in our squad and they saw that the club was displaying no intention of improving it. We now have improved our squad and the opportunity to resign a player that is better than all but possibly Ozil in our current squad but for supposed personal reasons we chose not to and in my opinion foolishly cutting our nose off to spite our face .
    Anyway water under the bridge now , if we are going back to our just buying prospects to fill shirts , we had better hope that Wilshere finds another gear because the one he was in on Saturday wasn’t good enough.

August 19, 2014 at 9:46am

I think he would have upset the squad Lee, only because a bottle of Aldi’s finest ketchup told me… lol

295. bondex

August 19, 2014 at 9:50am

Morning all…. i dont seem to able to get over “PEST FABREGAS” so I’m just gtoing to shut my mouth on anything that concerns me.

296. bondex

August 19, 2014 at 9:50am

****** concerns him

August 19, 2014 at 9:52am

All conjecture Rico…. Arsene will address the team’s deficiencies over the next 2 weeks! I’m half full today……..

298. bondex

August 19, 2014 at 9:53am

Morning Rico, Imo Burnley played a more open game and gave chelsea a lot to think about. Not sure chelsea would have fared as well if they played like palace did. By the way didnt palace beat them last season ?

299. Scott From Oz

August 19, 2014 at 9:54am

Potter, did Cesc also leave Barca due to their lack of quality?
    No, and I doubt he left us because of that.
    I reckon he was homesick, but Barca wasn’t the heavenly experience he thought it’d be and things soured, so they got rid of him.

300. Gonerjoe

August 19, 2014 at 9:54am

On Cesc Lee what I remember reading at the time and the fact he was injured for us and played for Barcelona as soon as he signed for them.

301. Adam

August 19, 2014 at 9:54am

Potter. I couldn’t agree more. Excellent points.
    Rico. Burnley had a go for sure and you had to admire their commitment, but once Chelsea got going and Cesc started pulling the strings….
    Because of our unique association with him I am hardly surprised that people are talking about the bloke this morning.

302. Scott From Oz

August 19, 2014 at 9:55am

Bondex, Palace effectively ended Cheslkis league Challenge…..

303. Bt62 Gooner

August 19, 2014 at 9:55am

FALCAO!!

304. Scott From Oz

August 19, 2014 at 9:56am

There is no doubting the quality of Cesc on the pitch…he is world class.
    Off it, he has a massive question mark, and obviously Wenger thought so.
    I’m Cesc’ed out now :)

305. Bt62 Gooner

August 19, 2014 at 9:57am

Lee, i think your flying high mate…

August 19, 2014 at 9:57am

It is Lee. My glass is full, has been all summer, although I’m starting to get a bit twitchy…

August 19, 2014 at 9:58am

Morning bondex, thanks. Yes, I think Palace got a very important victory over them last season. It was one which made me very happy.. lol

August 19, 2014 at 10:01am

Adam, that’s my point really, had Palace played such an open game and attacked us, I bet we’d have picked them off with ease and scored a few…

They didn’t though, they came to park the bus and did it very well. We still won though…

August 19, 2014 at 10:02am

Bt, I think I must of over loaded the last one! ;)

August 19, 2014 at 10:02am

Yeah Rico, Sanogo would of given them a right picking off! ;)

311. Bt62 Gooner

August 19, 2014 at 10:04am

Good work, Lee….

312. Bt62 Gooner

August 19, 2014 at 10:05am

Rico, check your mail.

August 19, 2014 at 10:06am

I would of thought the lure of playing with Gerwanko would of kept all our top players…..

314. Gonerjoe

August 19, 2014 at 10:06am

Cesc is better than a lot of our mid – field players but my point is the team needs the money that Cesc would have cost spent in other areas.
    I think it’s agreed that Arsenal need CDM,striker and one our two center backs.

315. Scott From Oz

August 19, 2014 at 10:07am

I am willing to take on all comers that we finish higher than Chelski this season.
    I haven’t had any takers yet, even amongst my Chelski mates.
    False bravado from them until the pressure is on :)

316. Nickie

August 19, 2014 at 10:13am

Think Wenger, Think Wenger’s history…..now think is Wenger really going to spend 15-25-35m on a defensive midfielder when we have so many bodies in that area. The answer is 90% no. I’ve come to terms with it and I feel great, please do the same lol

August 19, 2014 at 10:13am

I’ll do that bet with you Scott.

318. Adam

August 19, 2014 at 10:14am

Rico. I agree. We are talking about the first game of the season but our needs haven’t really changed and that is all I am thinking about really.

319. Bt62 Gooner

August 19, 2014 at 10:17am

I’m with mee betting mate Lee, i’ll take a piece of that action, Scott.

320. Hell Raising Devil

August 19, 2014 at 10:17am

I agree with Rico…..had PAlace attacked us we would have scored 3 to 5.

As it is they came to defend and went away with what they deserved. NOTHING

And their goal was a couple of comedies of errors. we gifted it to them not they created it.

321. bondex

August 19, 2014 at 10:17am

Point is lets not allow those poisonous journalist make us feel our win on Saturday was poor. Nothing really happened for chelsea in the second half of that game even after the “OLD ONE ” came on..

August 19, 2014 at 10:18am

Bt, how was your Cobra mate?

323. Scott From Oz

August 19, 2014 at 10:19am

You guys have more confidence on Chelksi than their own fans lol.
    What’s the wager?

324. Bt62 Gooner

August 19, 2014 at 10:24am

Left me wanting more, Lee….Hold on a minute havn’t had…….lol

325. Nickie

August 19, 2014 at 10:24am

Eduardo Vargas’ expectations have taken a nose dive lol Linked with Arsenal, signs on loan with QPR

326. Bt62 Gooner

August 19, 2014 at 10:26am

Scott, we’re on the roll of lifetime, mate….lol

August 19, 2014 at 10:27am

:) Lee, I reckon he would have….

August 19, 2014 at 10:27am

Vargas to Qpr!

August 19, 2014 at 10:29am

I’m flexible Scott.

330. Bt62 Gooner

August 19, 2014 at 10:29am

Nickie, that’s good news, imo

August 19, 2014 at 10:31am

Thanks Bt.. :)

Adam, agree there, it’s just one game yet the media are already in overdrive. I’m standing y ‘wait until the end of the window’ view.

Then I’ll moan… Or not hopefully…. lol

August 19, 2014 at 10:32am

You’ll get your Cobra’s… One day ;)

333. Bt62 Gooner

August 19, 2014 at 10:33am

Rico, no problem, i have my ear plugs at the ready…

334. potter

August 19, 2014 at 10:33am

Scott , Cesc is/was a young impressionable kid when he left home to join us and he got caught in a political war as the presidential candidates for Barcelona fought each other. Many things were going on in his life his parents divorced and one candidate in particular wining and dining his father to get him to return.In the spanish team he was pressured every day to go back and he buckled. When he got to Barca the man he idolised all of his life Guardiola left the club and the new man and the new president wanted a new shiny toy to give the fans and eventually they splashed out on Neymar. He was then shunted all round the pitch not because he was playing badly but because there was no room with the other stars and because he was so adaptable he was the one that got hooked everytime. In the meantime a new manager came and the boardroom unrest continued with the neymar deal being exposed as not Kosher , the rumblings on which continue. All in all the homecoming as you named it was not a happy one and the promises made were not kept.
    All of this has come from people i know in local supporters clubs in Catalonia. It was also difficult because a certain section of the crowd never accepted him because he went in the first place , just as many of you can’t see past him leaving us.

335. Nickie

August 19, 2014 at 10:33am

Opening Weekend Stats – who do you think is going to win the League? #SSNHQ pic.twitter.com/i4aM70OPwh— Sky Sports News HQ (@SkySportsNewsHQ) August 19, 2014

Interesting, Arsenal on a stats basis looked to have done best against one of the better teams faced

336. Scott From Oz

August 19, 2014 at 10:33am

Come up with something :)

337. Nickie

August 19, 2014 at 10:35am

Rico please can you get my latest comment out of moderation, very encouraging picture :)

338. Scott From Oz

August 19, 2014 at 10:40am

Potter, great post.
    It does put to bed the fact Cesc left due to our lacking quality players though.
    It was never going to work there…he was always going to be the odd man out, and Barca bought him for ego and pride only….as usual.
    Thanks for that…..

August 19, 2014 at 10:45am

It’s out Nickie..

:) Bt…

New Post up..

340. Luznic

August 19, 2014 at 10:47am

I would do the same thing Wenger did to Fabregas, I won’t take him back, why should he? he’s good and so fu*c*ing what? he left us and claimed love for barca then barca who he called his home claimed much love for Suarez and pushed him out and then again he’s back, please he looks confused and his story sounds like a glory hunter, I have an Ozil and a Ramsey and cesc will unsettle that team, except for a DMF that midfield still looks better without cesc, we might still argue what if after the season but we are human and Fabregas didn’t deserve the second chance let’s move on

August 19, 2014 at 10:47am