Balotelli deal hots up, Higuain back on & Djourou….

The Germans served up a bit of a dish last night by battering Portugal 4-0. Pepe’s cheeky little head-but on Thomas Muller saw him get his marching orders which really gave Portugal no chance. Mind you, they were barely in the game with eleven men let alone ten.

In other matches, the USA shocked Ghana with a 2-1 victory and Iran v Nigeria ended up 0-0.

Up today is:

Belgium v Algeria 5pm

Brazil v Mexico 8pm

Russia v South Korea 11pm

The Mario Balotelli to Arsenal rumours seem to be gathering pace although I still can’t see this move happening. As good, no great a player Mario is, he’s got history and baggage, a great big suitcase full of it. We all witnessed his behaviour whilst at Manchester City and I just can’t see Arsene Wenger being able to ‘handle’ the big Italian, or even wanting to try.

In footballing terms, Mario is just the kind of no-nonsense striker we need, not some lightweight who won’t get stuck in but he’s a bit hotheaded both on and off the pitch.

In other news and continuing with the Thomas Vermaelen story, The Mirror suggest that should he go to Man Utd, Arsene Wenger is thinking about getting either Tom Cleverly, Nani or Chris Smalling in return as none are thought to be in the plans of their new manager. I can’t see that happening either, although Ray Parlour believes that if Thomas wants to go to Utd, Arsene Wenger wont stand in his way:

Thomas Vermaelen wants to play football. Last year he couldn’t get in the Arsenal side because Per Mertesacker and Laurent Koscielny were superb at the back. Kieran Gibbs has improved so much he couldn’t even play him at left-back.

When you get to a situation where a squad member wants to move, sometimes the player has more sway than the club itself.

If he wants to play football, and an offer comes in from a club like Manchester United, then it’s hard for the club to say, ‘no, you can’t go there, we want to sell you to a club in Italy or Spain’.

He was doing the captain’s notes last year in the Arsenal programme but not getting in the team. I can’t see that changing any time soon. He wants to play first team football.

Higuain’s name has popped up again in the same sentence as Arsenal. This time last year there was speculation about him signing for us, in fact many a story said it was a ‘done deal’ but clearly it wasn’t as he ended up at Napoli. Arsene Wenger said back then that Higuain wasn’t a special target for him so unless things have changed in our managers mind, then I can’t see this being anything other than regurgitated news.

Finally, I had to laugh yesterday when I was reading the official website. Each day they update the WC results for the countries in which are players are involved. Yesterday it was the turn of the Swiss result which opened with ‘Arsenal defender Johan Djourou……’ .

I guess someone forgot he left us earlier in the year. Still, at least they’ve amended it now…..

That’s it for a sunny Tuesday….

200 thoughts on “Balotelli deal hots up, Higuain back on & Djourou….

1. Scott from Oz

June 17, 2014 at 9:56am

Balotelli…..why not?
    Can Arsene tame him?

June 17, 2014 at 10:00am

I’m not sure he could Scott…

Some people just aren’t for taming… lol

3. Scott from Oz

June 17, 2014 at 10:00am

The Puma connection offers a sniff of hope that the Balotelli story has legs, IMO.

June 17, 2014 at 10:01am

Trouble is Scott, when these things are in the papers, seldom do they come true…

5. Scott from Oz

June 17, 2014 at 10:02am

Rico, I read his fiancée is a London girl as well.
    I’m not suggesting it will happen, but I can see the possibility.
    I also think Weners calm way would keep Balotelli pretty happy.

June 17, 2014 at 10:08am

I didn’t know that…

Wish something would happen Scott, something good…

7. The Real Gooner

June 17, 2014 at 10:09am

Definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result …..AW will not buy Balotelli or anyone like him……will scrimp around , pick up Utd rejects and we will be haunted by Fabregas decision , to not take him when he is better than any midfielder we have is …….insane…..yawn yawn
    P.S one of the best blogs….:-)

8. bondex

June 17, 2014 at 10:17am

Morning all, good post rico… i honestly thought we’d forgotten about cesc he is no good to us imho…. I’ll welcome balotelli anyday and why not ,imagine we had bentman as a striker for so long and Aw managed him…

June 17, 2014 at 10:18am

Thanks re HH Real Gooner..

I never thought the club would sign a player like Ozil, but they did.. That gives me hope through this transfer window.

June 17, 2014 at 10:21am

Thanks bondex…

Did AW manage Bendtner? I’m not so sure he did otherwise he wouldn’t have got into trouble so many times.

But like I said earlier, some people don’t want to be helped and NB seems to be one of those people.

Balotelli, well if he arrives, we’ll soon find out what AW can do with hm…

11. Nickie

June 17, 2014 at 10:22am

Balotelli is definitely tamable. I believe this club and squad is right for him. ie no wankers and good squad harmony. Wanna see him tearing it up.

PS morning all and good post

12. Scott from Oz

June 17, 2014 at 10:23am

So Real Gooner, Ozil was a Yanited reject?
    People STILL ignore the fact we made a 42 million pound signing not 12 months ago!

13. nick farrer

June 17, 2014 at 10:25am

Djourou (Lans) joke !!

14. Nickie

June 17, 2014 at 10:25am

I hope Ozil wasn’t a 1 off and that it broke a boundary in terms of going for proven quality

15. Scott from Oz

June 17, 2014 at 10:31am

Nickie, the window before that, we brought quality in as well, so hopefully that trend continues.

June 17, 2014 at 10:31am

Thanks Nickie, good point and no big egos, unlike at City when he was there…

17. Kugwa Mahu

June 17, 2014 at 10:32am

Balotelli is a no go. The AFC hating English media will influence the Refs and he will get red cards, incorrect offside calls and no penalty awarded in his favour

18. Joeheart Agoda

June 17, 2014 at 10:32am

For me i dont need balotlli in arsenal thats me

19. Bt62 Gooner

June 17, 2014 at 10:33am

Morning all, I would says it’s as much about Mario wanting to change, as it is about Aw being able to tame him. Scott as you say the Puma link gives it legs, would be a match made in commercial heaven for them.I think the fixtures come out tomorrow i think. No Tom Cleverly, thank you!!

20. Gunnerdna

June 17, 2014 at 10:37am

Morning all,

Santi on AM rumors,

“I won’t think about it until the end of the World Cup. I told my agents that I didn’t say anything to stop the rumours,”, said Cazorla.
    “I’ve been told it’s a good club by Villa, Koke and Juanfran. And I know Atletico well. I won’t know if there’s anything there until after the World Cup and I don’t want to know.”

21. Scott from Oz

June 17, 2014 at 10:38am

BT, I have used the term “tame” myself, but I honestly reckon Wemger would understand him, and guide the guy…..plus, as you say he wants to change.

22. southyorkshiregunner

June 17, 2014 at 10:39am

Balotelli is a world class player. I have no problem with world class players at Arsenal.

It’s the shite that Wenger buys who he tries to palm off as being world class or ‘good’ players that I abhor.

As for Wenger ‘taming’ him? That I do not know.

Without sounding prejudice here, and it may do to some who don’t know me.
    Wenger did it with Patrick Viera, but Viera had something between his ears that Eboue, Adebayor, Diaby and Song and more lately Gervais did not.
    Viera was open to advice and eventually curbed his recklessness.

Check Paul Pogba v Honduras … That is the exact recklessness which Viera came to the club with and eventually had ironed out of him ….. You’ve seen this recklessness with Eboue, Song, Adebayor, Diaby and Gervais …..

It is the ‘African’ mentality, instinct – call it what you will … And Wenger cannot manage it. He likes to think he can, but he cannot.
    Mourinho can, but Wenger cannot.
    Ferguson tried it and went back to Plan A.

Bergkamp recently stated, “He (Wenger) just told us to go out there and express yourself.”
    Did he say the same to Eboue, Song and Adebayor?

Certain players need strict man management.

Would I have Balotelli with us – even with his baggage? without a shadow of a doubt. Why? Because he’s world class.

Would I have Benteke? Fcuking never.

You can cope with the odd idiosyncrasy with a world class player so long as he’s not getting sent off and costing you points – or upsetting the equilibrium within the dressing room. However at the moment there is NO one to form a clique with.

June 17, 2014 at 10:44am

No Cleverly for me either Bt..

June 17, 2014 at 10:46am

Santi being tapped up then Gdna… ;)

25. t

June 17, 2014 at 10:50am

Balotelli is shit. we’re all clinging on to the hope of balotelli because we cant attract anyone better. ffs, ramsay never broke his leg for this

June 17, 2014 at 10:52am

Syg, I’m not sure it’s a cultural thing, it’s just certain people just don’t want to be helped or want to learn and improve.

David Bentley, Nik Bendtner, JET are just a few Europeans we have had who just don’t have a brain in them when it comes to behaving..

I’m sure there are more …..

27. t

June 17, 2014 at 10:54am

higauin? ffs, can we all stop making up rumours on twitter and accept we’re going to be stuck with Vela and Giroud next season. top players dont want to play for us. if ozil had the chance he’d fuck off. lets be realistic we’re better off going for Darren Bent or Kone.

28. bondex

June 17, 2014 at 10:57am

Well rico, to be able to put up with such a hopeless footballer for so long needs a lot of skills… no dumbly for me neither.

29. Scott from Oz

June 17, 2014 at 10:57am

Rico, add Rooney to that list.
    Prime example.

30. bondex

June 17, 2014 at 10:57am

*****either

31. Scott from Oz

June 17, 2014 at 10:58am

No Gunner, but all the same……

32. Bt62 Gooner

June 17, 2014 at 10:58am

Syg, never got the Benteke thing myself, if Mario can get his head in the right place, there’s one hell of a player waiting to take the world by storm.

33. Nickie

June 17, 2014 at 11:00am

Yeah it does seem the trend has been broken Scott. But if we take a look at the previous window we lost RVP and brought in questionable quality. Giroud 1 good season unproven in premier league. Podolski only seemed to stand out in the poorer teams, never made it at Bayern. Cazorla, can’t say I had seen him an awful lot of him. Ozil is the one with great proven pedigree at the highest level

June 17, 2014 at 11:01am

For sure Scott, there are plenty around at other clubs…

I think the problem we have had is hanging on to a few of them for far too long…

35. snaparse

June 17, 2014 at 11:02am

morning Rico balitelli is great let’s not forget van persie came with his problems too like him or not so many of our players see Wenger as a father figure because he helps them with other aspect of their life too I’m not trying to say Wenger would make balo a saint but just trying to say ur is worth a punt….he recently got engaged so u can say he us maturing???……..nice read between

36. southyorkshiregunner

June 17, 2014 at 11:03am

He’s the type of player we need BT62.

He’s certainly not a bad kid.

June 17, 2014 at 11:05am

Nickie, most fans were thrilled when we signed Santi and Podolski, two big names in the game and Podolski was and still is a top German international.

Giroud was the one doubted imo and I know he’s not everyone’s favourite but he’s still managed to score a good number of goals.

June 17, 2014 at 11:06am

Morning snaparse and thanks.

RvP was a kid when he joined us though, he learned and settled.

Balotelli is a grown man, he should have learned by now….

But until he’s signed, I’m not going to worry about him… ;)

39. Scott from Oz

June 17, 2014 at 11:09am

Don’t get me wrong, not getting over excited over a rumour, nor suggesting I think we will get him, but if possible, I’d take him for sure.

June 17, 2014 at 11:11am

‘T’ – just how do you come to the conclusion that Mario Balotelli is s**t??

And what on earth makes you think Ozil would leave if he had the chance?

And Higuain was from one of the newspapers, not twitter, so keep up!!

41. Bt62 Gooner

June 17, 2014 at 11:11am

Syg, can we have Falcao as well? lol

42. bondex

June 17, 2014 at 11:12am

snaparse says:
    June 17, 2014 at 11:02 am ……. on point.

June 17, 2014 at 11:29am

I thought Balotelli was older than 23, maybe he could yet grow up then… ;)

44. Scott from Oz

June 17, 2014 at 11:31am

Rico, imagine how good he will be in a few years.

45. southyorkshiregunner

June 17, 2014 at 11:36am

I’d love to be in charge of transfers BT. There’d be dust and feathers everywhere…. Diaby would be the first to have my boot up his arse and out of the door… Over £20M he’s cost us and for what? Sanogo would be loaned out to Wolves or Ipswich …. and Myachi? what’s the point? we need speed, yet he’s never played bar the CC.

June 17, 2014 at 11:38am

Scott, I honestly thought he was older and thought he’d have grown up by now, but yes, at 23 years old and with the right manager, he could mature and be a truly world class player….

47. potter

June 17, 2014 at 11:39am

Balotelli is a step up on the quality that we have . We should be looking at building a squad that gets about 40 games a season per player. This gives room for injuries , suspensions etc. We have been guilty of overplaying too many players throughout the years , we now need to have players that can come in without the quality going down. If he is available and the deal can be struck then we should go ahead with it. But that’s what I thought and still do about Cesc.

June 17, 2014 at 11:39am

:) Syg, surely there’d be a few more feeling the end of your steel toecap…

Lescott has signed for Hull City…

June 17, 2014 at 11:45am

Potter, agree re having the squad depth, it’s long overdue…

50. Nickie

June 17, 2014 at 11:49am

Yeah i’m not saying they were bad players and I was so happy to see Pod, Caz and Giroud to come in. I’m just saying that Ozil was the first world class proven at International and (World Class) Club level.

51. Tsgh

June 17, 2014 at 11:49am

Ditto Snap re RVP

Rico good post… btw

I think you it took Robin a bit longer to settle…
    The reason the away boys made up the song ‘Robin she said no she said no..’

Syg, Gervais is just misunderstood… :-) and thanks for jinxing Ghana too…

52. Bt62 Gooner

June 17, 2014 at 11:50am

Syg, you’d wear those boots out, me thinks..Rico, dodged one there ref Lescott. Potter, read on ANR this morning, that Fab was told he would have to dump Dein jr, if he was to come back, he said no.

53. Lang'at kigai

June 17, 2014 at 11:52am

I think ballo is good player,let AW sign him coz you can’t compare him with Giroud.

54. southyorkshiregunner

June 17, 2014 at 12:00pm

LOL Rico

I read that re: Dein BT62.

The reality is though – that the guy who wrote it is Myles Palmer – a 60 year old pensioner who tries to make himself sound better / cooler / more hip than he actually is …..

When he says he was working in his office … He means upstairs in the back bedroom of his council-type semi-detached house in north London … When I say I’m working from my office I mean my office down at Robin Hood Airport (not that I ever go down there) – When I work from home I say I work from home … Never pretend your something that you are not.

Adam can talk all day about him … A closet Man Utd fan who’d love to blow Stevie G and Rooney the Marine off… in reality he’s a bit of a dick head. ….

June 17, 2014 at 12:01pm

If they let Cazorla go I takes the non re signing of Cesc seem even more bizarre.
    The only conclusion I can come to is that, we are a selling club!
    Where does that leave our ambitions for the future?
    Well, in the toilet, really!

Still it’s all mirrors and smoke! Truth? What is the Truth, in football?
    The ball is round and goals ain’t! The players are poor and refs are bent! The owners are rich, the owners are greedy, the owners are shite!
    And, we are foolish to place our fate in the hands of such shysters and charlatans!

56. Gunnerdna

June 17, 2014 at 12:03pm

Arsenal track record in the transfer market have the fans on edge. lol

57. Nickie

June 17, 2014 at 12:07pm

I think i’m going to enjoy the WC, and put transfers to the side. To be honest I come here read the blog daily but haven’t really been checking in on twitter or Newsnow as often as I usually do just because it’s mostly crap and my mind has been occupied with the WC. In our minds we must all know newsnow and 95% of the stuff on there is complete garbage lol. When the world cup is over we’ll be in July 1.5 months till the transfer window closes and 1 month away from the premier league, thank god we have the world cup or this would have been a very tedious month.

58. Wath

June 17, 2014 at 12:11pm

Take it your not a fan of Palmer then SYG…? ;-) You missed out “know it all cnut” on his brief resume’ you wrote on him……

59. Gunnerdna

June 17, 2014 at 12:12pm

Braking News,

HH top blogger Ts affectionately known as ginge is missing in action from 11:00 pm UK time, after his Ghanaian team lost to a average USA team at the 2014 WC. Anyone with information is being asked to contact Rico at HH. lol

60. Scott From Oz

June 17, 2014 at 12:14pm

Stop worrying about rumours.
    Damn, it’s the same every season, and probably 99% of the rumours turn to dust.

61. Nickie

June 17, 2014 at 12:17pm

Exactly Scott, it’s all rubbish lol. I read from Daily Star on the day Cesc signed for Chelsea “Chelsea pull plug on Fab Deal” (along those lines early morning) When Cesc signs Daily Star goes with “Exclusive:Chelsea sign Cesc” it’s all total crap haha

62. Bt62 Gooner

June 17, 2014 at 12:20pm

Syg, Adams mate Mr.Durham has admitted his wife/partner is an Arsenal fan.lol. Have read ANR, now and again, always knew his office was in his house, never thought he implied anything else.

June 17, 2014 at 12:21pm

I get it Nickie :)

64. Wath

June 17, 2014 at 12:24pm

Bt, the office is a shed at the bottom of his garden I reckon which is where he gets all his scoops from… The compost heap…!

65. Scott From Oz

June 17, 2014 at 12:26pm

Nickie, I don’t mind talking about transfer rumours, but I certainly don’t get stressed over them any more…yes, I used to.

66. Nickie

June 17, 2014 at 12:26pm

tbh I was all over Drax in Jan because I think I was craving another big signing. I’m glad we haven’t taken him yet. Having taken a step back, watching some of his performances i’m glad we didn’t spunk 30mil+ on this kid. However, i’m interested to see how he does next season. If he does well, re-assess and maybe try again.

67. Bt62 Gooner

June 17, 2014 at 12:28pm

Wath, lol, my office isn’t at the bottom of garden, but still has the same effect as the compost heap! lol

June 17, 2014 at 12:29pm

:) Gdna, no idea where Ts has gone….

69. Scott From Oz

June 17, 2014 at 12:33pm

All you high flyers with an office!

70. Wath

June 17, 2014 at 12:34pm

I use the shed as well Scott but don’t tell anyone………….!

June 17, 2014 at 12:36pm

:) Wath, say what you really think….

Scott, same here, it’s all bollards until someone is confirmed…

June 17, 2014 at 12:38pm

Ts, you were in spam, it’s the name swapping that does that…

73. Bt62 Gooner

June 17, 2014 at 12:39pm

Scott, on your side of the world, my office would be known as a dunny! lol

74. Wath

June 17, 2014 at 12:47pm

Bt, on Scott’s side of the world your office would be upside down…!

75. Scott From Oz

June 17, 2014 at 12:48pm

Offices are over rated :)

76. Scott From Oz

June 17, 2014 at 12:48pm

BT, here we call them crappers lol

June 17, 2014 at 12:52pm

Which wouldn’t be good if it was a dunny… ;)

78. Scott From Oz

June 17, 2014 at 12:52pm

Wath, everything here is actually right way up!

79. BrainwashedKev

June 17, 2014 at 12:56pm

So Draxler turned down Arsenal because he wanted to spend another year at Schalke…

Read another way, the financial package wasn’t large enough for him and more importantly his Agent…

He’s probably holding out for Bayern…

Forget him, I have…,

80. Bt62 Gooner

June 17, 2014 at 12:57pm

Wath, oops!

81. BrainwashedKev

June 17, 2014 at 12:58pm

Afternoon All

Afternoon Rico…

SYG, good points today, you’re on a roll mate…

June 17, 2014 at 1:07pm

Afternoon Kev..

Warm in the City?

June 17, 2014 at 1:36pm

We signed Overmars and Petit on ‘this day’……

Two like those would do just nicely Arsenal!

84. Nickie

June 17, 2014 at 1:43pm

Balotelli’s agent talking up a move

June 17, 2014 at 1:51pm

Didn’t he say we are one of few clubs who can afford him?

86. ktr7

June 17, 2014 at 1:53pm

Good read rico.

On Balotelli his agent Mino Raiola is a snake.i would avoid working with him as much as possible.

June 17, 2014 at 1:56pm

Thanks Kt, all football agents are snakes… ;)

June 17, 2014 at 2:10pm

10th of August is our first game.

Back to Wembley we go to play City in the Community Shield Cup….

June 17, 2014 at 2:12pm

26,000 tickets allocated to both clubs, tickets cost between £20 & £45

90. potter

June 17, 2014 at 2:18pm

Another ballot ?. Same as the final , families of three. 2 adults and 1 child , bet the child gets the ticket again.

91. ktr7

June 17, 2014 at 2:19pm

He is the worst rico…trust me.he is quite disruptive to clubs his clients are in.

92. Wath

June 17, 2014 at 2:21pm

Tkt allocation is a fucking joke.. FA are a fucking joke… the FA Cup excuse was tkts for extended FA family… isn’t that what the community shield should be for…? FA Cup is for the fans… ooops def not it’s so the FA can make as much money as possible which is par for the course with all these football associations around the world…. Bottom line is fleece the fans whenever possible..!

93. luznic

June 17, 2014 at 2:24pm

Afternoon Rico gentlemen, balo…telli…it was a tough Night yesterday

June 17, 2014 at 2:26pm

Couldn’t agree more re the ticket allocation, it’s a disgrace….

Kt, I didn’t know that…

June 17, 2014 at 2:26pm

Afternoon luznic…

Off to cut the grass…

96. Gunnerdna

June 17, 2014 at 2:28pm

Former Schalke manager Ralf Rangnick slammed Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger for not getting the best out of Mesut Özil and hindering his development.

“Mesut has tactically not really evolved over the past two years. The fact that he is a gifted footballer, everyone knows that. But in the game against the ball he still has major weaknesses,” Rangnick told German newspaper Frankfurt Allgemaine.

“I have in the past season seen some games of Arsenal. They often conceded too many goals in big matches, because no work was done after losing the ball enough, to win it back.

“With Mesut it is a temperament problem. If he had played in the past two years at Dortmund or Bayern, he would be tactically much better.”

97. ktr7

June 17, 2014 at 2:32pm

Arjen Robben is officially the fastest footballer of
    all-time after reaching a top speed of 37
    kilometres per hour as the Netherlands thrashed
    Spain 5-1.
    The Bayern Munich man left Sergio Ramos trailing
    as he sped through the middle of the pitch and
    into the penalty area before firing home the fifth
    Dutch goal in Friday’s game.
    Prior to that record-breaking burst, Arsenal and
    England star Theo Walcott was the quickest
    player in the world with a speed of 35kph.
    Robben’s previous personal best was clocked at
    30.7kph for Bayern. Perhaps, more impressive, is
    the fact he has broken the record pace set by a
    footballer, at the age of 30.
    Further down the list of speedsters are
    Manchester United’s Antonio Valencia in third
    place (35.2kph), Gareth Bale in fourth (34.7),
    fifth-placed Aaron Lennon (33.8) and Cristiano
    Ronaldo (33.6), who is now sixth.
    Behind the Real Madrid man in seventh and
    eighth spot are Lionel Messi and Wayne Rooney,
    who have recorded speeds of 32.5 and 32.1 kph
    respectively.
    Usain Bolt remains the fastest man in the world
    and of all-time. The Jamaica 100 and 200 metre
    runner ran 44.72kph in the final of the World
    Championships in Berlin in 2009.

98. luznic

June 17, 2014 at 2:34pm

I am not worried about the transfers, I am not an AKB, but I am sure AW knows we are waiting for him to either stumble or do it right, he is no fool he won’t give us falcao but surely he will give us something good and I am sure its not Vela or J Campbell……..plus SYG comments about the African thing I accept as some African players loose their heads once they feel they are in a big club, Adebayor I can’t stand, Gervais why did Wenger even bother, though Eboue is a darling but what about KANU and Toure they were good servants to Arsenal, you are half correct its a cultural thing and believe me I really don’t want any African in Arsenal right now even serge Aurier is all muscles no brains

99. ktr7

June 17, 2014 at 2:37pm

The FA have confirmed that Arsenal and
    Manchester City will receive
    approximately 26,000 tickets each for the
    Community Shield showdown on Sunday
    10 August.
    The allocation – 1,000 more than the
    Gunners received for May’s FA Cup final
    triumph over Hull City – sees prices
    range between £20-£45, but has been
    deemed a disappointment by CEO Ivan
    Gazidis who has again pointed out that
    38,000 tickets will fall into the hands of
    people not directly involved with the
    participating clubs.
    “We are all looking forward to playing
    Manchester City in the Community
    Shield,” he told Arsenal.com.
    “However, as with the FA Cup final, we
    are disappointed with the official
    allocation of only 26,000 tickets for this
    match. This means that both clubs will
    only officially receive a combined total of
    approximately 52,000 tickets, in a
    stadium which has a capacity of 90,000.
    “The club will implement a ticket-
    allocation policy which will be as fair to
    all our supporters as possible, but we
    appreciate that many of our loyal
    supporters will be unable to obtain
    tickets for this match. We will be
    explaining our position to the FA and will
    try our best to obtain more tickets for
    our supporters.”
    Arsenal have won the Community
    (formerly Charity) Shield 12 times in their
    history but haven’t taken part in the top
    division’s traditional curtain raiser since
    2005/06 when we were beaten 2-1 by
    Chelsea.
    Fingers crossed we can pick up where
    we left off at Wembley by snaffling a
    second piece of silverware in consecutive
    visits to Wembley.
    Arsenal have yet to confirm the date that
    tickets will be put on sale.

100. southyorkshiregunner

June 17, 2014 at 2:46pm

Ktr7. The fastest man of all time is Steve Austin….
    ….Oscar Goldman of OSI clocked him at 97km/h in 1974..

101. AndrewH13

June 17, 2014 at 2:53pm

Way its going we might make a transfer profit this summer. Vela payment, Captain, Fab all bring in some money. Cazorla?

But never mind, Joel back, be like a big new signing.

102. AndrewH13

June 17, 2014 at 2:54pm

In fact Fab1 and Fab2 both brought in money!

103. southyorkshiregunner

June 17, 2014 at 3:00pm

Kanu and Toure were extremely humble players Luznic ………. taking away the fact that Kolo Toure got needlessly sent off with Emmanuel Adebayor in the 2008 League Cup final v Chelsea…. And this is while the officials completely missed Emmanuel Eboue decking Wayne Bridge whilst trying to break it up…

Just for the record Jon Obi Mikel got sent off for Chelsea.

June 17, 2014 at 3:00pm

Gdna, bearing in mind he’s only been with us a season, that man is an idiot!

June 17, 2014 at 3:03pm

Syg, 2.46. :lol:

I loved that programme, I grew up with that….

106. Nickie

June 17, 2014 at 3:04pm

Joel is a shiny new signing lol. He’s never played for Arsenal. Wenger said he’d look at him in pre-season. If Sanogo gets a spot ahead of Campbell in the squad Wenger has gone mad. Sanogo needs a loan whereas Campbell has had experienced different leagues around the world, Champs league and WC. Not only that he looks a better player and is younger. No grudge against Sanogo but he is a lad who’s been chucked in by Wenger who let’s face it, shouldn’t be anywhere near the Arsenal 11 until he gets some experience elsewhere

June 17, 2014 at 3:05pm

Andrew, I get why you think that, the club hardly appear to be being proactive but, and I’m not trying to defend the club, as someone here suggested the other day, maybe we are waiting for the new Puma kit deal to kick in before seeing all our wonderful new signings in their shirts….

:P

108. luznic

June 17, 2014 at 3:05pm

John Obi Mikel is another example of a player who just never listens and never raises his game, the lad was a real talent playing at the U20 in 2005

June 17, 2014 at 3:06pm

Spot on Nickie.

110. ktr7

June 17, 2014 at 3:06pm

Was about to say the same thing re:Ozil.he barely been with us a year.if anything then the ‘master tactician’ mourinho isn’t all that then since he has been with mesut for 3 seasons…

111. luznic

June 17, 2014 at 3:09pm

Rico,Wenger always goes by the book you never know if he really was just waiting till July 1, if we sign all our players now, then how do we get into the news

112. ktr7

June 17, 2014 at 3:11pm

Luznic I agree re:mikel.in that U20 tournament he was the 2nd best player behind messi.he was even playing as a #10 then.he has seriously wasted his talent at chelsea.

June 17, 2014 at 3:15pm

I’m sure we will see signings soon luznic, well, I bloomin hope so…

Not long until the 1st July…

114. AndrewH

June 17, 2014 at 3:27pm

Rico, I come in here for your optimism when mine is vanishing!!

115. tsgh

June 17, 2014 at 3:29pm

Hi Dna, the Ghanaians were truly useless.. they went into the game thinking they would beat USA but as I have always said to Snap and Kt, Klinsman is a very fine manager and tactician and should be managing Germany instead of Loew…
    you have in the past few days posted/quoted a lot opinions of potential ‘experts’… so I get surprised when you ask for luxury players who don’t work hard…

I know I have no everyone is entitled to their opinions but until we as fans stop turning our noses off to pragmatic signings because they ain’t house hold names we won’t go forward and will suffer 6-1 thrashings even without AW…

As I always say Jose or Simeone will never sign someone like SC19 as skilful and talent as he is…

Our players do not work hard enough…

Your at 2:28 pm

116. frednerk

June 17, 2014 at 3:31pm

Wonder what us fans would have thought had wenger not signed Ozil,
    we seem to hear more rumours of players going ..not signing.

117. tsgh

June 17, 2014 at 3:32pm

My browser is really playing up…; when I type it appears on screen in slow motion; is anyone having same issue?

118. tsgh

June 17, 2014 at 3:33pm

The funny thing is IG and Aw have said we won’t make any signings on this side of the world cup but we falling for the rumours. :-)

119. tsgh

June 17, 2014 at 3:35pm

Some stats I read…

Germany have scored 19 of their last 20 penalties at the World Cup – the only player to miss was Lukas Podolski.

120. Gunnerdna

June 17, 2014 at 3:37pm

Ts lol, Ghana was better than USA in every department, the US was lucky. Your browser need a new signing. lol

June 17, 2014 at 3:40pm

:) Andrew, mine will wear off after the 31st July if we haven’t signed anyone….

122. ktr7

June 17, 2014 at 3:42pm

Ts how do you rate Wenger tactically?…

123. potter

June 17, 2014 at 3:42pm

Anyone who watches The Arsenal live can see the defensive shortcomings. That’s why I was so keen on bringing Cesc back into the team. I am fully aware that Wengerball has no room for a defensive tackling midfielder. With Cesc, Ozil , Cazorla and Ramsey we would have reverted to the fast passing style we had with Cesc , Rosicky and Hleb and would have defended by having more of the ball than we do at present knocking long balls to Giroud to knock down or hold up. Every time the ball is played long to a lone forward the percentages say that possession will be lost , which is one reason why English football has gone backwards since the introduction of the backpass rule , other countries have realised that defenders need to drop back to receive the ball whereas in our league it’s just put your foot through it and welly it upfield.

124. ktr7

June 17, 2014 at 3:44pm

By the way I think Germany and Netherlands have been the most well organized teams in the tournament for me so far.

June 17, 2014 at 3:45pm

Ts, I don’t think anyone is falling for the transfer gossip, we all know it’s newspaper bollox!

Doesn’t stop us from chatting about ‘what if’ though…. :)

126. Nickie

June 17, 2014 at 3:45pm

Wenger is a stubborn tactician. He seems to have this thought “i don’t care who the opposition is, we play our way” and against the big teams no game plan well and truly destroys us. One of the only times I think Wenger showed good use of tactics was the FA cup final to go 4-4-2, although maybe this wasn’t tactics and was more of an “all or nothing get all attacking players on and go for it” thing

June 17, 2014 at 3:54pm

I’d much rather have a strong midfielder signed, one who has pace and strength and knows how to tackle properly…

One who can intercept the opposition move and turn it into our attacking play.

One who can recycle the ball throughout the game and one who will plug the great big gap we have so often seen when facing sides with pace…

128. potter

June 17, 2014 at 4:04pm

Very laudable Rico and effectively I agree it would be my choice too but it is very unlikely that it will be Wengers’

129. southyorkshiregunner

June 17, 2014 at 4:07pm

Sorry about ‘allegedly’ jinxing your result last night Ginge.
    I watched the first half and was in a similar mindset as I was during the Nigeria v Iran game. Total garbage.
    It was said in this morning’s match reports that the second half was much better.
    On a positive note, Ghana are still above Portugal and their kit is nice.

130. Rick

June 17, 2014 at 4:23pm

Afternoon Rico and the House.
    Logging on this morning I received a messge from AVG telling me that the Heartbleed Virus is is becoming more of a probleme. Since then I have run a check on some of the websites I use and have found (according to AVG) that the BBC sport news weather, BT internet and Jeorge Bird are being shown as being vulnerable.
    There are other sites I am going to check and I am posting this to find out if other AVG users or anyone else is having any problems

131. Gunnerdna

June 17, 2014 at 4:23pm

Syg, u lost the bet yesterday?

June 17, 2014 at 4:26pm

Rico, it’s a beautiful sunny day in London Town today.

Liverpool away, a tough start

133. Rick

June 17, 2014 at 4:26pm

Hi rico I have a comment in moderation . can you read it?

June 17, 2014 at 4:27pm

But why though Potter, surely Diaby was always meant to be that player…

If we had a fit and more focussed player like Diaby, we’d be sorted.

I hope AW isn’t expecting him to be fit for an entire season….

135. southyorkshiregunner

June 17, 2014 at 4:38pm

I know DNA. It just goes to show.

Nigeria of 1994 would have walloped Iran 6-0

Whether it’s international football or what – I just don’t know. England have club cliques and the odd shit player that stops us from progressing to where we should.

Germany looked good and actually won playing a proper team.

France looked good against a very menacing Honduras, however they are hardly top tier with Wilson Palacios being their country’s golden boy.

Holland, I missed but caught the highlights, which is basically as informative as Youtube.

Both Brazil and Argentina looked sound enough

However it’s still early days and it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that Ghana could beat Portugal and cop a draw with Germany to go through.

A point worth noting is that a totally shit and underwhelming Greece side won Euro 2004 by sticking the boot in and sending everyone to sleep … and Kung Fu experts Korea got to the semi’s of one of the World Cups.

136. potter

June 17, 2014 at 4:42pm

Diaby is a conundrum ,He has been with us for 8 years and has averaged 15 games a season. had Wenger seen that style of player as a necessity he would have bought another one in that time. I often wonder whether if he hadn’t been injured at the end of each contract would he have been sold.

137. southyorkshiregunner

June 17, 2014 at 4:44pm

Abou Diaby is currently in Brazil showing his mental strength as Wenger’s personal non-boozing and non-smoking valet…..

….. Either that or his gone to see his twin-brother Jacko Martinez who Dick Law is currently trying to sign ….. even though Wenger has told the ‘fumb ducker’ ten times already that its Javi Martinez who we are after…..

138. bondex

June 17, 2014 at 4:54pm

@ syg very funny….. the world cup is the only thing making this period bearable.

139. Gunnerdna

June 17, 2014 at 4:55pm

Belgium Team: Courtois, Alderweireld, Kompany, Van Buyten, Vertonghen, Witsel, Dembele, Chadli, De Bruyne, Hazard, Lukaku

Subs: Mignolet, Vermaelen, Fellaini, Mirallas, Mertens, Defour, Origi, Lombaerts, Januzaj, Vanden Borre, Ciman, Bossut.

Algeria Team: M’Bolhi, Halliche, Bougherra, Medjani, Ghoulam, Bentaleb, Mostefa, Taider, Mahrez, Soudani, Feghouli.

Subs: Si Mohamed, Belkalem, Mesbah, Yebda, Lacen, Ghilas, Brahimi, Slimani, Cadamuro, Djabou, Mandi, Zemmamouche.

140. southyorkshiregunner

June 17, 2014 at 4:58pm

Belgium 3-0 Algeria

141. southyorkshiregunner

June 17, 2014 at 4:59pm

A win against Bosnia Bondy and you’re through !

142. tsgh

June 17, 2014 at 5:00pm

No match of the day favourite Fellaini in the Line up?

And TV must be brewing inside Alderweireld ahead of him… 18 months ago he was teh captain of Belgium… lol

Witsel in midfield is as mad as Syg talking about Song and Gervais…:-) I think Witsel has calmed down though so will be worth a punt

143. tsgh

June 17, 2014 at 5:01pm

:D :D Another Syg classic

‘Either that or his gone to see his twin-brother Jacko Martinez who Dick Law is currently trying to sign ….. even though Wenger has told the ‘fumb ducker’ ten times already that its Javi Martinez who we are after…..’

144. tsgh

June 17, 2014 at 5:04pm

What happening Dna and Syg being ‘nice’? :P

Where is Cg btw.. has he found himself in Brazil?

Syg, you know J.Martinez was disposed by Lahm and Kroos in midfield last season? Albeit, he was injured for a while but still…

145. tsgh

June 17, 2014 at 5:06pm

”On a positive note, Ghana are still above Portugal and their kit is nice.” Micko I am sure will have a different opinion on that. :-)

June 17, 2014 at 5:06pm

Hi Rick, I can’t see your comment in moderation…

June 17, 2014 at 5:08pm

potter, I think you raise a very good point, maybe Diaby would have been sold. Now he’s fit and with one year to go, will he be sold off?

I can’t see it personally, although I would sell him…

148. Rick

June 17, 2014 at 5:13pm

Rico lts on now 4.23

149. vernat1066

June 17, 2014 at 5:21pm

I agree that we do not use all of resources to their optimum and there seems to be a one size fits all policy. I think that TV could be used as a front sweeper playing 10 to 15 yards in front of the back four to provide the speed and strength we lack there now with Arteta, Flamini playing slightly further forward of that as his out ball as his passing may not be what is needed there but his other attributes I think could well be used to help the team.

He has more pace, size and strength than the other options currently and his spring and tackling would be well used, also at the moment any lapses he makes tend to mean that the player is in on goal while playing further forward there should still be a line of defence further back and he could if needed drop in at the back and play in a back three leaving the full backs free to go forward.

150. Gunnerdna

June 17, 2014 at 5:27pm

Even at the WC the Suprs are shite.

June 17, 2014 at 5:32pm

Thanks Rick, would you run HH through a check too please, I’m sure something isn’t quite right with the site…

June 17, 2014 at 5:32pm

And good afternoon to you too Rick…

153. Gonerjoe

June 17, 2014 at 5:42pm

You know you’vre made when Rico uses something you posted on HH.
    Good evening all

154. Gonerjoe

June 17, 2014 at 5:44pm

Made it

155. southyorkshiregunner

June 17, 2014 at 5:49pm

Well played Algeria. It’s a pity we can’t defend like that (a) v chelsea

156. southyorkshiregunner

June 17, 2014 at 5:51pm

Hiya Ginge – You okay mate? felt for you this morning when I saw the score. really.

June 17, 2014 at 6:06pm

Evening Joe… ;)

158. tsgh

June 17, 2014 at 6:16pm

lol Syg

Snap, is it not amazing how another MoTD favourite is not looking colossal in the belgium defense? ;)

Hi Rick, are you enjoying the sun and the WC?

159. tsgh

June 17, 2014 at 6:16pm

lol Syg

Hi Rick, are you enjoying the sun and the WC?

160. tsgh

June 17, 2014 at 6:21pm

i bet nasri wishes he’s representing Algeria now… lol

161. tsgh

June 17, 2014 at 6:26pm

Nice header MF…

Definitely a 2nd striker.. lol

162. Gunnerdna

June 17, 2014 at 6:30pm

Romelu Lukaku failed to register a single touch in the opposition area during this match. omg

June 17, 2014 at 6:50pm

Well, those subs were spot on. That’s the old Fellani from Everton back then…

June 17, 2014 at 6:53pm

Back defending and then popping up in the box to head home…

Just what Diaby could have been doing…

June 17, 2014 at 6:57pm

That’s staggering Gdna..

June 17, 2014 at 7:31pm

I’m having an early one…

Night all….

167. tsgh

June 17, 2014 at 9:21pm

A year ago sections of fans and media alike were slating Aw for not buying Gustavo especially with Paulinho joining the sperds based on both players confed cup showing…

168. snaparse

June 17, 2014 at 9:45pm

ts u don’t rate Gustavo??????

June 17, 2014 at 9:52pm

Well played Mexico.

Brazil are a bunch of cheats!!

Nighty…..

170. Gunnerdna

June 17, 2014 at 9:57pm

Rico, behave and leave ma team alone. Ts, Gustavo is a better DM than MF and MA. You need to notice only Ozil & BFG start for their country, what’s that telling you? Lol

June 17, 2014 at 10:03pm

Thought you took an early bath rico !!!

Capello up next, wonder if he’ll carry on from where he left off in 2010 !

172. snaparse

June 17, 2014 at 10:12pm

night Rico Brazil is overrated IMO

June 17, 2014 at 10:28pm

snap, Brazil coming in for a load of stick over here, their one shining light Neymar, otherwise very average.

Fred (not our one) was getting murdered on the box, brazil a nation of over 200 million and some how he gets the nod, 22 touches in the first two games, there’s no hiding place.

June 17, 2014 at 11:55pm

Looks like Van Gaal is in for Khadeira, despite many claiming he’s a crock…

175. tsgh

June 18, 2014 at 8:49am

Morning Rico abd all…

Scott I know you lurking somewhere… ;)

Brazil’s best player imo is Oscar and should be played as a no.10 in my view.
    Neymar is exciting to watch but as in my view players who just run with the ball for no reason do not excite me… Gotze is proving a more complete player now than Neymar; Dare I say even JC is a better all round player.

That Brazilian midfield is shocking… I can’t believe Ramires is not rated and Bernard over Coutinho?? come on felipe…?

176. Scott From Oz

June 18, 2014 at 8:49am

Holland have NEVER beaten our Socceroos.
    We have a win and two draws…not bad for a pub side, hey SYG :)
    Stan, we are coming to get you!
    Ok, we can’t beat them, but as long our boys belt shit out of Van Persie and Robben, who cares?
    Let’s give Robben something to bloody dive about!

177. Scott From Oz

June 18, 2014 at 8:50am

Ginge, word has it Brazil tried to adopt Aaron, but that’s another story :)

178. tsgh

June 18, 2014 at 8:51am

Oh, FIFA did not get the papers through early enough I heard Scott… :-)

179. tsgh

June 18, 2014 at 8:53am

Scott, when Syg wakes up remind him US of A beat us in the 50’s i mean England.

180. Scott From Oz

June 18, 2014 at 8:56am

Lol……and best yet, the term SOCCER has it’s origins in England.
    True story :)
    Neymar…..I must say, he has to he’s of brilliance, but he does not compare to the worlds best…not even close.

181. tsgh

June 18, 2014 at 8:59am

True that Scott…

Apparently, in the early days of the sport among the upper echelons of British society, the proper term for the sport was “Soccer”. Not only that, but the sport being referred to as “Soccer” preceded the first recorded instance of it being called by the singular word “Football” by about 18 years, with the latter happening when it became more popular with the middle and lower class. When that happened, the term “Football” gradually began dominating over “Soccer” and the then official name “Association Football”.

June 18, 2014 at 9:03am

Palace at home first game…

183. tsgh

June 18, 2014 at 9:05am

Dna, if you around in my view national team selection does not define the quality of a player

Coutinho was omitted for Bernard; albeit the latter is a natural winger but come on…

German omitted Kruse and Keisling 2 of tehir better players for different reasons.

Di Steffano never made the Argentine squad and never played in the world cup…

I can give you tonnes other examples…

184. tsgh

June 18, 2014 at 9:07am

That is a potential banana skin…

Considering we have qon les than 3 of our last opening day fixtures in 8 years…

185. tsgh

June 18, 2014 at 9:07am

won*

186. tsgh

June 18, 2014 at 9:14am

Man city passed on Cesc and are buying Gaitan… is that logical?

June 18, 2014 at 9:16am

Morning all…

Just sorting out the fixtures :)

188. tsgh

June 18, 2014 at 9:20am

Hi Rico, Jagielka to Arsenal gathering momentum

189. Scott From Oz

June 18, 2014 at 9:26am

Jagielka is decent…I’d take him.

190. tsgh

June 18, 2014 at 9:34am

More than imo, but he has turned us down 2 times and he is now 31 y.o.
    He plays CB and DM seamlessly.
    Also based on several fans assertions that all ‘decent’ to good players players want to win and play at ambitious clubs, the reason why we lose players I am a lil’ confused on that one ;)

His salary whilst playing for Everton being more than TV and Sagna’s during his time at AFC I guess makes little difference. ;)

June 18, 2014 at 9:36am

How was the stag Lee?

June 18, 2014 at 9:37am

Morning Ts, Lee, Scott and anyone else reading… ;)

June 18, 2014 at 9:43am

Yeah was good thanks… all this transfer bollocks is getting on my nerves, people claiming to know this and know that when really they know fuck all!

June 18, 2014 at 9:44am

Seems people like spouting bollocks all day long…..all very fucking tedious!

195. Scott From Oz

June 18, 2014 at 9:46am

Lee, I know enough to know nobody knows anything :)

June 18, 2014 at 9:49am

Totally agree Lee… but a chap I know, knows the groundsman at The Emirates and he said……………..

New post up…